The purpose of a tree review is to provide a process to evaluate whether mitigation proposed for tree removal is both appropriate and adequate, considering the purpose of the regulations that limit removal. Get the land use review application and the early assistance application online.
Tree review evaluates whether changes to tree preservation plans are appropriate, and determines the appropriate mitigation for trees lost due to violations of tree regulations.
When a tree review is required
- Your lot is in a Scenic Overlay Zone and you want to remove a tree that does not qualify for removal in the standards of the Scenic Overlay zone.
- Trees in the Scenic Overlay Zone that do not qualify for removal under Chapter 33.480, Section 33.480.040.B.2.g, Preservation of Trees, or Section 33.480.040.B.2.h, Tree Replacement, may be removed if approved through tree review.
- Your lot is in the Rocky Butte Plan District and you want to remove a tree that does not qualify for removal in the standards of the Rocky Butte Plan District.
- Trees in the Rocky Butte plan district that do not qualify for removal under Subsection 33.570.040.C, Exempt From Review, may be removed if approved through tree review.
- You want to change the approved method of tree preservation or mitigation for a platted land division.
- Changes to the approved method of tree preservation or mitigation for a land division, where the Final Plat of the land division has been approved and recorded, may be approved through tree review. Changes to mitigation for development in the Environmental Overlay zone requires an Environmental Review.
- You have violated the tree protection and tree preservation regulations of Title 33.
- Corrections to violations of tree protection and tree preservation regulations of this Title, except for violations of the Environmental Overlay Zone and the Greenway Overlay Zone, are reviewed through tree review. Corrections to violations of tree preservation plans and of methods of tree preservation or mitigation approved through a land division review are reviewed through tree review.
The approval criteria that must be addressed for a tree review are located in Zoning Code Chapter 33.853, Section 33.853.040.
Tree review procedure
Corrections to violations of tree protection and tree preservation regulations of Title 33 are processed through a Type II or Type III procedure. All other tree reviews are processed through a Type II procedure.
Tree review applications and forms
Visit Land Use and Final Plat Applications for instructions on how to apply for a Land Use Review.
Complete this application form to apply:
Use this list to identify submittal requirements:
A pre-application conference is required for all Type III Land Use Reviews. Optional Pre-application conferences are also available to discuss other projects:
Sign this form within 21 days of application date to allow submittal of new information if a Type III decision is appealed:
More information about tree reviews
Learn when a Tree Review is required, Approval Criteria for Tree Review and Frequently Asked Questions.
Summarizes all procedure types:
Outline of timeline for Type II Procedure:
Outline of timeline for Type III Procedure: