A Land Division Review is required to divide an existing property to create additional lots, parcels or tracts. A land division may also be required to legalize a lot that was created outside of the legal process (such as through deed). Read more about land division reviews and final plat reviews.
All land divisions require two steps:
1. Review and approval of the preliminary plan
2. Review and approval of the final plat
- To begin the land division process you may submit for an Early Assistance appointment. These optional appointments are available for feedback on your land division prior to submittal of the land use review application.
- In addition, pre-application conferences are required for Type III Land Divisions prior to submittal of the land use review application.
- Following approval of the preliminary plan, the applicant must submit a final plat for review and approval. The final plat shows the final surveyed layout of the land division, including all lots, tracts, easements and rights-of-way.
- Once the final plat is recorded, building permits can be submitted for the newly created lots.
- A Property Line Adjustment allows for minor changes to the location of existing property lines between existing legal lots.
- A Replat allows for removing and reconfiguring existing lot lines within a site, resulting in up to three lots.
- A land division may be combined with a Planned Development Review.
Land division and final plat reviews procedure types
- Land Divisions are processed as a Type Ix, IIx or Type III procedure. Review the Land Division Information Guide for review thresholds and Process and Timelines for summaries of the procedures.
- The final plat is the final technical review to determine if all the conditions of approval imposed during the preliminary land use review have been met. It is also a review of the plat survey to determine if it matches the preliminary approved site plan. The final plat review is an administrative review.
Land division and final plat reviews application forms
Visit Apply for Land Use Reviews and Final Plat Applications for instructions on how to apply for a Land Use Review.
Complete this application to apply for a final plat:
Complete this application to apply:
A pre-application conference is required for all Type III land use reviews. Optional pre-application conferences are also available to discuss other projects. You may also request an optional appointment to discuss your land division.
An expedited land division provides an alternative procedure for land division applications:
Sign this form within 21 days of application date to allow submittal of new information if a Type III decision is appealed:
Important information about land division and final plat reviews procedures
Completing these steps is required prior to submitting an application for some land divisions: Neighborhood Contact
Summarizes all land use procedure types:
Outline of timeline for Type Ix Procedures:
Outline of timeline for Type Iix Procedures:
Outline of timeline for Type III Procedures:
Process for changing an approved land division:
Density and lot dimension requirement information
[Density and Lot Dimensions in Multi-Dwelling Zones, Chapter 33.612 currently being edited]
Additional information about special situations
Information about land division requirements for sites that have the potential of flooding:
An explanation of requirements if site is within designated potential landslide hazard area:
Requirements for preparing a Landslide Hazard Study:
An explanation of requirements for identifying and protecting streams, springs and seeps on sites that are located outside of an environmental overlay zone:
Tree preservation and identification information
Information about tree preservation requirements for land division applications:
A special review is required to amend an approved tree preservation plan: Tree review information guide
Streets, stormwater and tracts and easements
If access or connections are allowed to be in private rights-of-way, specific design standards must be met. Link to these document for a description of the requirements: Private Right-of-Way Administrative Rules.
Helpful information when considering garbage collection options for properties with private right-of-way access:
This handout explains requirements for new streets as part of a land division review:
Overview of requirements and sample utility plan:
A description of the purpose/function of tracts and easements and requirements for creating and maintaining them:
Final plat application and information
Complete this form to apply:
The related 33.663 Final Plats webpage has information about this Zoning Code.
Fee information for Land division and final plat reviews
A list of all land use fees: