Historic Reviews are required for certain proposals that affect Historic Landmarks, Conservation Landmarks or Historic Resource Inventory Listings and for proposals in Historic and Conservation Districts. To find out if your site is located within a Historic or Conservation District, review maps in the related Historic Districts and Conservation Districts webpage.
Six types of Historic Reviews
Historic Resource Review
Historic Resource Review allows for review of alterations to existing historic resources and review of new development within designated districts. For some proposals, the applicant may choose to meet the objective standards of Chapter 33.218, Community Design Standards instead of going through the historic design review process set out in Chapter 33.846. Additionally:
- As part of the Historic Resource Review application, a Modification or Adjustment review may be required if the proposal does not meet certain development standards.
- Design Modifications may be requested as part of the design review for standards that are not met. See Portland Zoning Code Sections 33.445.050 and 33.846.070.
- Adjustments may be requested concurrent with the design review for use-related standards that are no met (such as floor area ratios, intensity of use, size of the use, number of uses, or concentration of uses).
Historic Designation Review
Historic Designation Review allows for the designation of a historic resource as a Historic Landmark, Conservation Landmark, Historic District, or Conservation District.
Historic Designation Removal Review
Historic Designation Removal Review allows for the designation removal from a Historic Landmark, Conservation Landmark, Historic District, or Conservation District.
Historic Preservation Incentive Review
Historic Preservation Incentive Review provides incentives for preservation of historic resources for some nonresidential uses in the RH, R1, R2 and RX zones.
Demolition Review is required to demolish some Historic Landmarks, Conservation Landmarks, historic resources in a Historic District, historic resources in a Conservation District, and resources listed in the Historic Resource Inventory.
Demolition Delay Review
Demolition Delay Review is required to demolish most Historic Landmarks, Conservation Landmarks, primary structures in Conservation Districts, and resources listed in the City’s Historic Resource Inventory.
Historic Reviews Procedures
- Historic Resource Reviews are processed through a Type I, Type Ix, Type II or Type III procedure. For review thresholds, see Portland Zoning Code Section 33.846.
- Historic Designation Reviews are processed through a Type III procedure. See Portland Zoning Code Section 33.846.030.
- Historic Designation Removal Reviews are processed through a Type III procedure. See Portland Zoning Code Section 33.846.040.
- Historic Preservation Incentive Reviews are processed through a Type II or Type III procedure. See Portland Zoning Code Section 33.846.050.
- Demolition Reviews are processed through the Type IV procedure. See Portland Zoning Code Section 33.846.080.
- Demolition Delay Review is a nondiscretionary administrative process with public notice but no hearing. Decisions are made by the Director of Development Services and are final. See Portland Zoning Code Section 33.445.810.
Review more information on and summaries of land use review process and timelines on the Types of Land Use Review and Land Use Review Fees webpage. A Pre-application conference is required for all Type III reviews. A Design Advice Request is an optional request for feedback from the Design Commission or Historic Landmarks Commission prior to submittal of Type III design review or historic design review.
Historic Review application forms
Visit Land Use and Final Plat Applications for instructions on how to apply for a Land Use Review.
Complete this application form to apply:
A pre-application conference is required for all Type III Land Use Reviews. Optional Pre-application conferences are also available to discuss other projects:
Sign this form within 21 days of application date to allow submittal of new information if a Type III decision is appealed:
More information about Historic Reviews
Summarizes all land use procedure types:
Outline of timeline for Type I Procedures:
Outline of timeline for Type Ix Procedures:
Outline of timeline for Type II Procedures:
Outline of timeline for Type III Procedures:
Submit with building permit plans to certify the plans are consistent with the Design Review or Historic Review approval:
Fee information for Historic Reviews
Review the Land Use Services Fees Schedule.