COVID-19 Freeze for Multnomah County

The four-week (minimum) freeze is in effect through December 16th.

Trade Permits Online

Apply online for a trade permit. Get information for how to make payments online or by phone. You can use Development Hub PDX to get an electrical, mechanical or plumbing permit online from the City of Portland.

You can apply for simple trade permits that do not need plan review online.

  • Get electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits
  • Schedule inspections for online permits
  • Pay fees and get billing statements

Find out what types of permits require plan review.

Attention Homeowners: You can only do electrical work yourself if it is the home you own and occupy. If you plan on selling or renting you must use a licensed electrical contractor.

More information about permits

Along with applying for simple trade permits, you can use Development Hub for other activities, too. Learn more:

BureauPermit / Fee TypeApply OnlinePay OnlineSchedule Inspections Online
BDSElectrical PermitYesYesYes
BDSMechanical PermitYesYesYes
BDSPlumbing PermitYesYesYes
BDSCommercial Building PermitNoYesNo
BDSResidential Building PermitNoYesNo
BDSEarly AssistanceNoYesNo
BDSFinal PlatNoYesNo
BDSLand Use ReviewNoYesNo
BDSPublic RegistryNoYesNo
Urban ForestrySelf-Issued PruningYesNot ApplicableNot Applicable
Urban ForestryRemoval / Replant PermitYesYesNot Applicable
Urban ForestryPruningYesYesNot Applicable
Urban ForestryRoot PruningYesYesNot Applicable
PBOTStreet Use PermitNoYesNo
PBOTPublic Works AppealNoYesNo
PBOTMinor Improvement PermitNoYesNo
PBOTTransportation ReviewNoYesNo
PBOTVertical InfrastructureNoYesNo
Civic LifeNoise VarianceNoYesNo
Civic LifeNoise ComplaintNoYesNo
Fire & RescueFire Systems PermitNoYesNo
BESROW Sewer ConnectionNoYesNo
BESROW Sewer RepairNoYesNo
BESSpecial CircumstancesNoYesNo
BESSystems Development ChargesNoYesNo
WaterDomestic ServicesNoYesNot Applicable
WaterFire ServicesNoYesNot Applicable
WaterWater MainsNoYesNot Applicable
WaterSystem Development ChargesNot ApplicableYesNot Applicable
WaterHydrantsNoYesNot Applicable
WaterMiscellaneous FeesNot ApplicableYesNot Applicable


Make Payments by Phone

Development Services

phone number503-823-5161

Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - noon and 1 - 3 p.m.

Trade Permit Information (Electrical, Mechanical & Plumbing)

Development Services

phone number503-823-7363

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 5 pm. Leave a message with detailed information.