Structural plan review
Structural plan review is required for construction, alteration, moving, demolition, repair, and use of any new and existing building or structure within the City. As a minimum, the following drawings and documents are required as part of your permit submittal for structural plan review:
- Foundation, Floor, and Roof Framing Plans;
- Elevations as required;
- Sections and Construction Details;
- Architectural Drawings and Details;
- Material specifications;
- Design Criteria and Loading Maps;
- List of Deferred Submittals and Special Inspections as applicable;
Other review groups may require additional documents. For a full list of required documents and drawings, please refer to the Minimum Submittal Requirements.
When required by code, drawings and calculations are to be stamped by a design professional registered in the State of Oregon. Contact the structural plan reviewer (if you're working with someone already) or General Inquiries if you need assistance in determining if drawings and calculations need to be stamped.
Applicable Building Codes
- 2019 Oregon Structural Specialty Code (OSSC) based on the 2018 International Building Code and the code/standards referenced within.
- 2017 Oregon Residential Specialty Code (ORSC) based on the 2015 International Residential Code (IRC) and the code/standards referenced within.
- Portland City Code (PCC), Title 24 Building Regulations.
- ASCE 41-17 "Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Existing Buildings" as referenced by PCC, Chapter 24.85, and the code/standards referenced within.
- Portland City Code, Title 28 Floating Structures.
Structural Plan Review and Design Requirements
Structural Design Requirements for One and Two Family Residential Structures
Get information about structural design requirements for one and two family residential projects in the City of Portland.
Structural Design Requirements for Commercial Structures
Get information about structural design requirements for commercial projects in the City of Portland.
Structural Design Requirements for Miscellaneous structures
Get information about structural design requirements for transmission and cell towers, signs, fabric-covered awnings and floating structures.
Get information on solar permitting and structural design requirements.
Plan Review timeline
The following are the review timeline goals:
|Permit Type||Working Days to 1st Review||Working Days to Recheck|
|Commercial Alterations < $200,000.00 and does not include a seismic upgrade||10||5|
|Commercial Alterations > $200,000.00 or includes a seismic upgrade||20||5|
|RS New Construction||15||5|
|CO New Construction||20||5|
|Process Managed or projects in Major Projects Group||Determined in consultation with the applicant||Determined in consultation with the applicant|
"Working Days to 1st Review" is defined as the number of business days following intake. Day 1 would be the next business day after intake.
"Working Days to Recheck" is defined as the number of business days following the date that the bureau is notified that recheck comments have been received.
Other helpful resources
- Unreinforced Masonry (URM) Buildings
City of Portland Structural Engineering Advisory Committee
Chapter 24.85 - Seismic Design Standards for Existing Buildings - Information