Note: Recently, Google Duo merged with Google Meet (which will offer the same video-conferencing features as Google Duo). All references to Google Duo on this webpage have been updated to “Google Meet”. While Google Duo is still available as a separate app, it will soon be discontinued.
The Remote Video Re-Inspection (RVR) program is an alternative to on-site inspections. You can make video appointments for residential re-inspections. Use FaceTime or Google Meet for video calls. Learn more about the RVR program below and then book an appointment online.
Types of residential projects that qualify
Projects and repairs with up to five corrections. Some examples include:
- Framing corrections (such as missing blocking, straps or nailing)
- Insulation corrections
- Finals correction (such as missing exterior house numbers, handrails, landings)
- Electrical rough-in corrections
- Service panel corrections
- Electrical final corrections (such as verifying required GFCI outlet)
- Rough-in mechanical corrections
- Gas line corrections
- Furnace and AC corrections
- Final mechanical corrections
- Drain waste
- Sealing of fixtures
The Residential RVR Sewer program allows you to schedule appointments for As-Built sewer repairs or replacements.
After sending us the photos and video of your backfilled sewer repair, a Development Services inspector will review and provide inspection results for 350 and 399 by email.
Find what you need to send us, and how and where to send us the information:
Technical Requirements for FaceTime or Google Meet
- Download and install FaceTime or Google Meet application on a mobile device to interact with the City inspector.
- Your mobile device (smartphone, iPad, or other tablets) must have reliable data service (4G/LTE internet) or a strong Wi-Fi connection (preferred)
- Note: If no Wi-Fi is available cell data is an option. If you have a limited cellular data plan your service provider may charge you for data used during the re-inspection.
- RVR will call your FaceTime or Google Meet account at the requested appointment time. Failure to answer this call will result in a NO ACCESS inspection result.
Note: Older mobile devices or mobile devices with older operating systems and lower-resolution cameras may not work properly with the RVR program.
Instructions for your Remote Video Re-Inspection (RVR)
1. Have reliable wireless internet data service or Wi-Fi connection (preferred)
Ensure your inspection location has strong internet connectivity and your device is always within range of those services around the whole site. Slower or weaker connectivity may not provide the speed and clarity required to complete the re-inspection. If this is the case, the inspector may change the re-inspection request status to not-ready, partial, or failed as applicable.
Depending on how your phone is configured you may receive alerts and/or calls during your remote video re-inspection. If you choose to take an outside call before the re-inspection is complete, then the re-inspection may be listed as not-ready, partial or no access as applicable and customer will have to set up another appointment for re-inspection through the web-based calendar application. If the connection is lost during the inspection the Inspector will attempt to re-establish connection for up to 5 minutes after the initial loss of connection. If connection cannot be re-established the inspection result will not be approved.
2. Gather tools for the RVR appointment
Prior to scheduling, make sure you have the tools :
- Flashlight for inspection areas with low light
- Tape measure to verify length
- GFCI tester
- OSHA approved ladder (for close ups of corrections with limited access), etc.
3. Schedule the RVR appointment
- Returning User to DaySmart Appointments – enter your username and password to schedule re-inspection(s).
- New user to DaySmart Appointments– you will be asked to create an account. This account can be used in the future to book and track scheduled inspections.
- If you are requesting multiple re-inspections, please wait for DaySmart Appointments to refresh and lock in each inspection number listed.
- Enter your FaceTime or Google Meet contact number.
4. Prepare to receive the RVR call
- Make sure phone or tablet is fully charged.
- Respond to contact request from RVR program.
- Be ready to accept video call at the scheduled appointment time.
- Turn off all power tools and equipment so the call audio is clear.
- Orient your camera to the following settings:
- Full screen
- Landscape mode
- Forward-facing view
5. Start the RVR call
- Begin re-inspection, displaying the outside entrance of the structure.
- The address must show in the initial view.
- Accept the incoming FaceTime or Google Meet RVR call.
- Authorize camera and mic usage if / when given the option.
- The screen view should be a full screen image of the City inspector and your device’s image in the upper right small screen.
- Follow the directions of the inspector.
- Show all required corrections.
6. RVR results
- The inspector will tell you if the re-inspection is approved or not. You will get a confirmation email.
- The inspector will update RVR results in the permitting system after the video call is complete.
- If the result is "NOT APPROVED – SEE CORRECTIONS", you will get an email with the items that need to be corrected. The email will include rescheduling instructions.
Schedule a Remote Video Re-Inspection now
Use DaySmart Appointments to schedule your preferred date and time of your video re-inspection. Preferred browsers are Chrome, Firefox and Safari.