Note: Starting the week of April 11, 2022, the RVR Program scheduling website, AppointmentPlus, will be known going forward as “DaySmart Appointments”. All services and account profiles are expected to operate in the same manner once the transition is made. Related website addresses will be redirected.
Learn more about remote video re-inspections and types of projects that qualify for re-inspection.
The remote video re-inspection program (RVR) is an alternative to on-site inspections. You can make video appointments for residential re-inspections. You can use FaceTime or Google Duo for re-inspection. Learn more about the remote video re-inspection program below and then book an appointment online.
The Residential RVR Sewer program allows you to schedule appointments for As-Built sewer repairs/replacements. After sending us the photos and video of your backfilled sewer repair, a Development Services inspector will review and provide instant inspection results for 350 and 399 by email. This guide explains what you need to send us, and how and where to send us the information:
Types of residential projects that qualify for remote video re-inspection
Projects and repairs with up to five corrections. Some examples include:
- Building: Framing corrections (such as missing blocking, straps or nailing), insulation corrections and finals correction (such as missing exterior house numbers, handrails, landings).
- Electrical: Electrical rough-in corrections, service panel corrections and electrical final corrections (such as verifying required GFCI outlet).
- Mechanical: Rough-in mechanical corrections, gas line corrections, furnace and AC corrections, final mechanical corrections.
- Plumbing: Drain waste, vent and sealing of fixtures.
Requirements for Facetime or Google Duo re-inspection
- To participate, customers must use the FaceTime or Google Duo application on a mobile device to interact with the City inspector. Download and Install FaceTime or Google Duo.
- Mobile device (smartphone, iPad, or other tablet) with reliable data service (4G/LTE internet) OR strong Wi-Fi connection (preferred)
- Caution: If no Wi-Fi is available cell data is an option. If you have a limited cell data plan your service provider may charge you for data used during the re-inspection.
- Warning: Older mobile devices or mobile devices with older operating systems and lower resolution cameras may not work properly with the RVR program.
- If this is your initial registration through the RVR system, you must set up a DaySmart Appointments account and/or if you already have one, provide us with your information through our online scheduling tool.
- RVR will call your FaceTime or Google Duo account at the requested appointment time. Failure to answer this call will result in a NO ACCESS inspection result.
Scheduling a remote video re-inspection
Use DaySmart Appointments to schedule your preferred date and time of your video re-inspection. Preferred browsers are Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
1. Reliable wireless data service (internet via phone/device provider) or reliable Wi-Fi connection (preferred)
Ensure your inspection location has strong connectivity and your device is always within range of those services around the whole site. Slower or weaker connectivity may not provide the speed and clarity required to complete the re-inspection. If this is the case, the inspector may change the re-inspection request status to not-ready, partial, or failed as applicable.
Depending on how your phone is configured you may receive alerts and/or calls during your remote video re-inspection. If you choose to take an outside call before the re-inspection is complete, then the re-inspection may be listed as not-ready, partial or no access as applicable and customer will have to set up another appointment for re-inspection through the web-based calendar application. If the connection is lost during the inspection the Inspector will attempt to re-establish connection for up to 5 minutes after the initial loss of connection. If connection cannot be re-established the inspection result will not be approved.
2. Prepare for the remote video re-inspection
Prior to scheduling, ensure that the necessary tools are available. For example, flashlight for inspection areas with low light, tape measure to verify length, level, GFCI tester and an approved ladder (for close ups of corrections with limited access), etc.
3. Schedule the remote video re-inspection
- Returning User to DaySmart Appointments – enter your user name and password to schedule re-inspection(s).
- New User to DaySmart Appointments– you will be asked to create an account. This account can be used in the future to book and track scheduled inspections. If you are requesting multiple re-inspections, please wait for DaySmart Appointments to refresh and lock-in each inspection number listed.
- Enter your Facetime or Google Duo preferred contact phone number.
4. Prepare to receive the call
- Make sure phone or tablet is fully charged.
- Respond to contact request from RVR program.
- Be ready to accept video call at the scheduled appointment time.
Virtual inspection instructions
- Authorize camera and mic usage if / when given the option.
- Make sure power tools and equipment are not running so that the call audio is clear.
- Accept the incoming Facetime or Google Duo RVR call
- You should have a view of the City Inspector
- The screen view should be a full screen image of the City inspector and your device’s image in the upper right small screen.
- Be sure to orient your camera to the following settings: full screen, landscape mode, and a forward-facing view, so that the RVR inspector will see the whole picture during the re-inspection.
5. Start the remote video re-inspection (RVR)
- Begin re-inspection, displaying the outside entrance of the structure.
- The address must show in the initial view.
- Follow the directions of the inspector.
- Show all required corrections.
6. Remote video re-inspection results
- Upon completion of the remote video re-inspection the inspector will tell you if the re-inspection is APPROVED. A DaySmart Appointments confirmation email will be sent to you as well.
- The inspector will update RVR results immediately in the permitting system after the video call is completed.
- If the remote video re-inspection is NOT APPROVED – SEE CORRECTIONS - A DaySmart Appointments email will be sent addressing the areas needing further improvement. The email will include rescheduling instructions.
Learn more about the permits process and the inspections process
Learn more about: