COVID-19 Safety, Recovery and Resilience

Face coverings are required in indoor public spaces and many outdoor spaces. State policy
Access City programs, people and projects helping Portland recover. Portland United

Volunteer. Play. Stay. Shop. Show the Rose City a little love. Here for Portland

Mechanical Permits- Residential

Apply for a residential mechanical permit and schedule a mechanical inspection for a 1–2 family home. Get the mechanical permit application. Need permits for furnaces, gas piping, a new HVAC unit, heating or air conditioning, mini-split permits, wood stoves or ductwork, start here.

The form takes 15 minutes to complete. Permits are issued after payment.

  1. When a residential mechanical permit is needed

    Mechanical permits include permits for all HVAC (heating, ventilating, air conditioning). Mechanical permits also include permits for gas piping, ductwork, furnaces, heat pumps or air conditioning condensing units and mini-split permits. 

    You need a mechanical trade permit to:

    • Install or change any part of a heating or cooling system that has duct work or must be vented into any kind of chimney or vent
    • Install, alter or repair gas piping (indoor or outdoor) between the meter and an appliance or a natural gas line
    • Install a wood stove or fireplace insert
    • Install a fuel oil tank

    Even if a building permit is not needed, the work will need an mechanical permit. Read more about trade permits and when a mechanical permit is needed.

    You may also need an electrical and/or plumbing permit.

    For new townhouse projects with three or more units, each unit needs a mechanical permit.

    Contact the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality at (503) 229-5263 to decommission an underground oil tank.
    Contact the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality at (503) 229-5982 to remove asbestos.

    Outdoor mechanical equipment is not allowed to be in the required zoning setback.  This includes: 

    • Outdoor air conditioner units
    • generators
    • kilns 
    • heat pumps
    • pool heaters

    To find out your setback, call Planning and Zoning at (503) 823-7526.

  2. Who can do the residential mechanical work

    If not doing the work yourself, you can hire a contractor. Contractors must have a license to work in Oregon. The Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) issues licenses to contractors. The permit application and their company materials must list the license number. Need help finding a contractor? The CCB website has good tips on how to search for one. 

  3. Apply for a residential mechanical permit

    If plans are not needed, you can get residential mechanical permits online through Development Hub. If you are hiring a contractor, they should already be set up in our system to pull the permit for you. 

    You can also email your completed application.  

    Permits not available online:

    • Install A/C
    • Install heat pumps
    • Install generators

    These permits need a site plan with the mechanical permit application. Call the trade permits help line if you have questions about getting a permit.

    Residential mechanical permit fees

    The fees are listed on the mechanical permit application. They are based on the work being done.

  4. Get ready for a residential mechanical inspection

    Call for an inspection before covering any gas piping or ductwork. You will need a final inspection to close out the permit.

  5. Residential mechnical inspections, results and corrections

    To schedule an inspection, call the automated inspection request line. You will need your IVR or permit number and the three digit code for the inspection.

    If you got your permit online through Development Hub, you can schedule your inspection online too.

    Get the results of the inspection online by searching for your permit on Portland Maps on the following day.

    Not approved - there are many reasons why the work did not get approved:

    • no access - the inspector may not have been able to inspect the work
    • incomplete work
    • code violations

    The inspector will list the corrections needed on the inspection report. 
    Call for a reinspection after making the corrections. Use the same three digit inspection code.
    If you make the corrections the same day wait until 5 pm to request a reinspection. The inspector needs to enter their results before you can schedule the reinspection.

    There is a reinspection fee charged for more than one reinspection for a single issue. Read more about residential permit inspections.

  6. Apply for a trade permit extension or a trade permit reactivation

    Apply for a trade permit extension or a reactivation: 

    Trade Permit Extensions

    Trade Permit Reactivations

  7. Contact mechanical inspectors

    If you have questions before your inspection, you can talk to an inspector. The inspectors' name, region, and phone numbers are listed on the the 1 & 2 family inspector area map.  

    Because of vacation or illness, your inspector may be different than the one listed on the map. If you have questions after your inspection, find out which inspector to call. Their contact information will be on the inspection results and on Portland maps.


Trade Permit Information (Electrical, Mechanical & Plumbing)

Development Services

phone number503-823-7363

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 5 pm. Leave a message with detailed information.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Residential Inspections

Development Services

phone number503-823-7388

Monday through Friday from 8:15 am - 3:45 pm. Leave a detailed message.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service
fax number503-823-7693

Requests for Inspection

Development Services

phone number503-823-7000

Automated Line - Requires an IVR or permit number

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service