Tentative labor agreement reached

The City of Portland and LiUNA – Laborers Local 483 announce a tentative agreement, ending labor strike effective 1am today, Sunday Feb 5, 2023

Electrical Permits- Residential

Apply for electrical permits online. Get the electrical permit application or a service/reconnect permit. Find out how to get an electrical permit for a 1–2 family home and schedule an inspection. Review what you need to install new outlets or light fixtures, run new wiring or update a fuse box.
Inspector checking a fuse box

The form takes 15 minutes to complete. Permits are issued after payment.

On this Page

Español  (Spanish) | Русский (Russian) | Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese) | 华语(中文)(Chinese)

When you need a residential electrical permit 

Even if a building permit is not needed, the work will need an electrical permit. For new townhouse projects, each unit needs an electrical permit. Read more about trade permits and when an electrical permit is needed.

You need a residential electrical permit to:

  • Install, change or repair any hard-wired electrical system
  • Run more wiring
  • Put in a new electrical outlet or light fixture
  • Change your fuse box to circuit breakers
  • Install or change low voltage systems (security alarms, stereo, computer or phone systems)

You do not need an electrical permit to fix appliance cords, replace a fuse or to replace an appliance already in place. For example, existing garbage disposal or dishwasher.

Who can do residential electrical work

Owner doing work 

The homeowner or member of their immediate family can do electrical work if they own and occupy the home. If planning on selling or renting within six months, they cannot do the work. The homeowner cannot do the work:

  • On their rental property
  • On their property for rent, sell, lease or exchange
  • On an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)

This rule is based on Oregon Law, under Oregon Revised Statutes, ORS 479.540 Electrical Safety Law.   If unsure, call Residential Inspections to ask an electrical inspector questions. 

Hiring a contractor

Contractors must have a license to work in Oregon. The Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) issues licenses to contractors. The permit application and their company materials must list the license number. Need help finding a contractor? The CCB website has good tips on how to search for one. 

To do most electrical work, contractors must also have their Building Codes Division (BCD) electrical license and a BCD supervising electrical license.

Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) 

ORS 479.540

Apply for a residential electrical permit online, by email or in person 

  • You can get most residential electrical permits online through Development Hub PDX. If you are hiring a contractor, they should already be set up in our system to pull the permit for you. Call the General Inquiries information phone number if you have questions about getting a permit.
  • If you purchased the electrical permit online through Development Hubyou can add fixtures to your permit online. 
  • You can also send in your application by email to
  • You can set up an appointment to drop off a paper application. Or, please call us and we will work with you. 

Service reconnect permit- when the power has been shut off for six months or more

Complete the electrical permit application and check "service reconnect only" on the application. Read more about service reconnect permits

Residential electrical permit fees

Based on the number of circuits affected, the fees are listed on the electrical permit application. Are you changing the basic service or changing a fuse box to circuit breakers? If yes, you will need to know the panel’s amperage.

If you are replacing general wiring, list the square footage of the area in your residence and it will include the service. Wiring packages start at 1,000 square feet and you can purchase additional 500-square foot packages.

Apply for a trade permit extension or a trade permit reactivation

Apply for a trade permit extension or a reactivation: 

Get ready for a residential electrical inspection

Residential electrical permits need three inspections: rough-in, service and final.

Call for rough-in inspection when you have wired the new circuits, including:

  • installed boxes
  • run wires
  • connected or made up grounding conductor 
  • installed nail plates as needed

Do not cover your work until the inspector has approved it.  No insulation, receptacles or wall switches. 

Call for a service inspection when you have installed:

  • service electrical mast
  • meter base
  • service panels
  • grounding electrode conductors, 
  • branch circuits (if possible)

If the project involves a service change, panel change or added sub panel, a service inspection (#120/145) should be requested. You can also request a #111 inspection on a residence that has had the power turned off for more than six months. This will ensure there is a record of requested inspections and approvals for all aspects of the electrical installation.

Call for final inspection when you have completed the electrical work. Make sure to:

  • cover the panel boxes 
  • label the circuits in the right spaces on the box 
  • install all cover plates 

The equipment and appliances must be installed, grounded and energized by the time the final inspection occurs. Read more about residential permit inspections.

Schedule residential electrical inspections, get inspection results and make corrections

  • If you got your permit online through Development Hub PDX, you can schedule your inspection online, too.
  • You can also schedule electrical inspections by calling the automated Requests for Inspection phone number. You will need your IVR or permit number and the three-digit code for the inspection.
  • Get the results of your inspection online on Portland Maps on the following day.

If you need to make corrections 

Not approved - there are some reasons why the electrical work did not get approved:

  • no access - the inspector may not have been able to inspect the work
  • incomplete work
  • code violations

The inspector will list the corrections needed on the inspection report. 

Schedule an electrical re-inspection

  • Call for a reinspection after making the corrections by calling the automated Requests for Inspection phone number. Use the same three-digit inspection code.
  • If you make the corrections the same day wait until 5 pm to request a reinspection. The inspector needs to enter their results before you can schedule the reinspection.
  • There is a re-inspection fee charged for more than one re-inspection for a single issue.

Contact electrical inspectors

If you have questions before your inspection, you can talk to an inspector. The 1 & 2 family inspector area map list the inspector's name, area, and phone number.   

Because of vacation or illness, your inspector may be different than the one listed on the map. If you have questions after your inspection, find out which inspector to call. Their contact information will be on the inspection results and on Portland maps.

1 & 2 family inspector area map