Face Covering Directive for City Facilities and Vehicles

Effective July 28, 2021, Portland CAO Tom Rinehart has issued a directive mandating the use of face coverings for everyone inside City facilities and vehicles. Check our face coverings page for more information.

COVID-19 Recovery and Resilience

Access City programs, people and projects designed to help Portland recover. Portland United
Volunteer. Play. Stay. Shop. Show the Rose City a little love. Be Here for Portland.

Manufactured Home Residential Building Permits

Apply online for a permit. Get information, required forms and helpful handouts for residential building permits for manufactured homes in the City of Portland. Learn about the mobile home permit review process and inspections and factory built home permits and modular home permits.
On this Page

There are three different permit types for manufactured dwellings:

  • MI (Manufactured Dwellings on an Individual Lot)
  • MP (Manufactured Dwellings in Parks)
  • RS (Residential) for accessory structures (these structures must be constructed per the International One and Two Family Dwelling Code)

Manufactured homes include modular homes, factory built homes and permanent mobile homes (mobile homes without wheels, on a foundation).

Who can do the work

Contractors must have a license to work in Oregon. The Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) issues licenses to contractors. The permit application and their company materials must list the license number. Need help finding a contractor? The CCB website has good tips on how to search for one. Plumbing and Electrical contractors have additional license requirements.  

If you are a homeowner doing the work yourself, then you can sign the trade permit applications. You cannot do the electrical work yourself. You must hire a licensed Electrical Contractor to do the electrical work. The State of Oregon has some helpful information for homeowners: 

Building permit application and other important forms

The following information is part of the application. This is everything you might need when applying for a manufactured home permit. Since every project is unique, there may be some situations where you will be asked to provide additional information. 

Things you need to apply for this permit may include some or all of the following. Read more about site plans and other items to include in your application

If you aren't sure what you need, contact Permitting Services. Permit forms and information include: 

Step 1: Research your property and what you need for your project

Code and Rules

Manufactured dwelling installation is governed by the Oregon Manufactured Dwelling Standard (OMDS) and City Title 24.90. The State of Oregon reviews and inspects the construction of manufactured structures. The City of Portland reviews and inspects the structural support of the structure, and any site-built elements such as stairs, decks, patio covers and garages.

  • Oregon Residential Specialty Code 
  • Portland City Codes 
    • Title 11 Tree Code 
    • Title 24 Building Regulations
    • Title 33 Zoning Code 

Other codes may apply based on the scope of work. The City and State Codes, Administrative Rules, Code Guides and Program Guides web page has the codes, administrative rules, code guides and program guides.

Planning and Zoning

Before getting started, contact Planning and Zoning to find out if a manufactured home is allowed on your property.  

Important information about manufactured home permits

A building permit is required when installing a manufactured home. Depending on the scope of work, your project may also require electrical, plumbing or mechanical permits. 

Any accessory structures, site-built additions or alterations to existing homes will be reviewed under provisions in the Oregon Residential Specialty Code. 


Alterations to manufactured dwellings require a permit and plans. The State issues the permit if the alteration is before the time of sale to the first consumer. The City issues the permit if it is a “secondary alteration” after the initial sale to the first consumer. Any alteration or addition that adds vertical weight or lateral loads to a manufactured dwelling requires engineering, including adding interior masonry around a wood stove or cutting a header.


Appliances such as electric ranges and clothes dryers must be listed for use in manufactured dwellings. Solid fuel burning appliances, such as fireplaces, wood stoves and pellet stoves must be listed for use in manufactured dwellings.

Gas and oil fuel-burning appliances, such as furnaces and water heaters, do not need to be listed for use in manufactured dwellings. These appliances can be installed as per their listing.

Combination permits

The Bureau of Development Services sells a "Residential Combination" permit package. This allows you to call for all inspections using one Building Permit (RS) IVR number. You can also pay for all the permits at one time. If you choose a combination permit, you will need to submit the trade (mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing) applications with your plans.  If you are hiring subcontractors to do the trade work, they must sign their trade permit application.  

Contractors must have a license to work in Oregon. The Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) issues licenses to contractors. The permit application and their company materials must list the license number. Need help finding a contractor? The CCB website has good tips on how to search for one.  Plumbing and Electrical contractors have additional license requirements.  
Oregon Construction Contractors Board 

Decommissioning a septic tank or cesspool

If the home is placed on a site that was previously developed, you will need to research if there is a septic tank or cesspool. If the prior home was not connected to the sewer when it was built, you will likely need to decommission the cesspool or septic tank.  

Permit fees

Permit fees are based on the type of permit, the work proposed, the valuation of the work, and the staff that need to review the work. 


A Ramada is a structure built over the home but not attached to the home. It must be a minimum of 18 inches above the top of, and six inches beyond the sides of, a manufactured dwelling. A ramada is reviewed and permitted like a pole structure, and requires an engineered design.

Site modifications

  • All site modifications such as driveways, daylight basements, ramadas, cabanas, carports, garages, additions, porches, decks, etc. must be shown.
  • Except for porches and decks, any accessory structure must be permitted separately.
  • A home that has a roof overbuild must be shown as adequate to support such overbuilding. A home that has trusses designed to support 30 psf snow load will be assumed capable of supporting a simple garage gable extension.

Step 2: What you need for a manufactured home permit

The following information must be submitted when applying for a permit to install a manufactured dwelling. Since every project is unique, there may be some situations where you will be asked to provide additional information. Please include:

  • The floor plan from the manufacturer 
  • NSFR Application Packet
  • If lot slope exceeds 20%, submit a geotechnical engineering report prepared by an engineer registered in the State of Oregon

Site Plan (Scale site plans to minimum scale of 1”=10’ and at least 11” x 17” in size)

  • Lot and building setback dimensions.
    • The “lot” for a manufactured dwelling on an individual lot (MI) is the property line
    • The lot for a manufactured dwelling installed in a park (MT) would be the lot within the park where the home is located.
  • Property corner elevations (if there is more than a four foot elevation differential, the site plan must also show existing and proposed contour lines at two foot intervals. A separate grading plan may be required to legibly show grading changes.)
  • Location and dimensions of easements and driveways
  • Footprint of structure (including decks and dimensions of eaves)
  • Location of wells/septic systems
  • Lot area
  • Location of all cuts and fills on the lot
  • Building coverage area and percentage of coverage
  • North arrow
  • Impervious area (structures, paving, etc.)
  • Existing structures on site
  • Location of utilities (storm & sanitary sewers, water, gas, etc. including size of service and street location)
  • Surface drainage
  • Width of adjacent right-of-way and curb height
  • Landscape plans
  • For a manufactured dwelling installed in a park, a plan of the park detailing the separate lots with the lot identified where the specific manufactured dwelling will be installed
  • A manufactured dwelling that is installed within a floodplain must meet elevation requirements

Building Elevations drawn to scale and showing:

  • All four views (left, right, front and rear) of manufactured home, including foundation
  • Finished grade for specific site
  • Exterior siding material
  • Roof pitch (3/12 minimum) and eave overhang (12” minimum)
  • The City also requires that sections show that the home is a maximum 12” above grade at the lowest point, has conventional residential siding and at least 12” eaves

Foundation Plan (drawn to ¼” =1’ scale )

  • Concrete runners, slab and pads
  • Spacing for supports (piers, blocks, etc)
  • Size of all components
  • Section detail
  • Pier locations either per OMDS or manufacturer’s specifications
  • 18 x 24 crawl access
  • Ventilation
  • Skirting or perimeter walls. Perimeter walls up to four feet high, measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, structural CMU, grouted solid or solid concrete, or pressure treated wood pony walls shimmed 16” center to center are acceptable ( 304n, OMDS).The OMDS states that all perimeter walls must be engineered.
  • Poly will be laid in the crawl space and subsurface disposal will be required at the direction of the inspector
  • Tie down locations with manufacturer’s listing information or structural engineer stamp for single-wide homes

Note: Daylight basements require plans and calculations stamped by an Oregon Registered Structural Engineer. 

Perimeter Wall Section Detail (Skirting)

  • Framing details
  • Footing details
  • Attachment details

Step 2b: Still need help? Schedule a 15-minute appointment 

If you have questions after reviewing the information on this page, we recommend you book a free 15-minute appointment with us. 

This is an optional step. We're here for you if you have questions about the information and materials you need to apply. 

If you need help, here are some experts we recommend you meet with for this project*: 

Meet with a Permit Technician 

  • Schedule this appointment if you have questions about the permit process. Permit technicians will provide you with the information found on this page. 
  • Get help with permit application requirements. 

These are optional meetings. Only book if you have questions. 

Meet with a Permit Technician

Meet with a City Planner 

  • We recommend you meet with city planner about planning and zoning or tree code requirements before submitting building permits.  
  • Get information on rules that apply to your property. 

These are optional meetings. Only book if you have questions.

Meet with a City Planner

Meet with a Building Code and Engineering Reviewer

  • Get help with building code and engineering requirements. 
  • To submit a question by phone, call Building Code Plan Review.  

These are optional meetings. Only book if you have questions. 

Meet with a Building Code and Engineering Reviewer

*Not all review groups may be listed. The groups listed above will help get you started. 

Step 3: Apply for a manufactured home permit

You can submit your permit application request online using Development Hub PDXRead step-by-step instructions for submitting a permit application request online or in person. 

For most projects, electronic plans are submitted through the Single PDF process. Large projects such as commercial new construction are submitted though PDX E-plans and ProjectDox.

If you are unable to create electronic plans, please call us and we will work with you.

Step 4: Check plan review status and make corrections to an application

After you pay intake fees, your project will be "under review." You can check the status of a permit review on Portland Maps permit/case search. Many people might review a single permit. The Permit Review Process web page has more information about the groups who review permits. 

A checksheet is sent to the applicant when a reviewer needs additional information or a correction has to be made to the plans. When you have gathered the additional information or made the corrections, bring the plans/information to the Development Services Center. Reviewers will be notified that a checksheet response has been received and the review will continue.

Step 5: Get your manufactured home permit 

You will be contacted when your permit is ready, and notified of your final fee total. Instructions will be given on how to get your approved permit and pay your fees. Your permit is not issued until all fees are paid. Read more about the pre-issuance process.

Step 6: Start installation and get ready for inspections

The inspection card lists all the inspections you will likely need during your construction project, and what work needs to be done first.  

Once your building permit is issued, erosion control measures and sometimes tree protection measures must be installed, inspected and approved prior to beginning any further ground-disturbing activities.

All permits need a final approval inspection to be complete.

Step 7: Schedule an inspection, get inspection results and make corrections

To schedule an inspection, call the automated inspection request line. You will need your IVR or permit number and the three digit code for the inspection.

Get the results of the inspection on Portland Maps permit/case search the next day.

Read more about why work does not get approved and how to schedule a reinspection.

Contact residential inspectors about your permit inspections

If you have questions before or after your inspection, you can talk to an inspector.

More information about residential permits

Read more about residential permit projects:


Permitting General Information

Development Services

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Zoning Information Line

Development Services

phone number503-823-7526

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 5 pm. Leave a message with a phone number, the project address, and your questions.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Requests for Inspection

Development Services

phone number503-823-7000

Automated Line - Requires an IVR or permit number

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Residential Inspections

Development Services

phone number503-823-7388

Monday through Friday from 8:15 am - 3:45 pm. Leave a detailed message.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service
fax number503-823-7693