COVID-19 Safety, Recovery and Resilience

Face coverings are required in indoor public spaces and many outdoor spaces. State policy
Access City programs, people and projects helping Portland recover. Portland United

Volunteer. Play. Stay. Shop. Show the Rose City a little love. Here for Portland

Do You Need a Permit for Your Home Repair or Home Remodeling Project?

Learn more about home repair permits, electrical permits, mechanical permits, plumbing permits and zoning permits and work that needs a permit for a 1- or 2-family home. When is a residential permit needed? When don't you need a permit for a 1 or 2 family home? (Also known as Brochure 2)
On this page

Get information about the types of home repair, remodeling and new building projects that require a permit. Learn which home repair projects don't need permits. This home repair and remodeling permit information is for 1- and 2-family homes. Apartments and buildings with more than two units (called "commercial buildings") have different requirements. 

You might also want to read What You Need to Apply for a Permit- Minimum Submittal Requirements.

Where can you get a permit?

You can apply online for a permit or drop plans off in person with an appointment. Learn more about the permit review process

Who can do the work

Contractors must have a license to work in Oregon. The Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) issues licenses to contractors. The permit application and their company materials must list the license number. Need help finding a contractor? The CCB website has good tips on how to search for one. Plumbing and Electrical contractors have additional license requirements.  

If you are a homeowner doing the work yourself, then you can sign the trade permit applications. You cannot do electrical work yourself. You must hire a licensed electrical contractor to do any electrical work.

What you need for a complete permit application 

Search for a project type to find out what you need for a complete application. For example, search for "Commercial Alteration" or "Residential Decks."  

Check out the Permits area for information about permits. You can also visit the residential permitting area and the Building and Zoning Permit Application page

One- and two-family homes

Permits are required for many types of work that you may need or want to have done on your property. This information doesn't cover everything. If you have permitting questions, please contact the Permitting General Information phone number. 

Work that requires a residential building permit

  • Build a one- or two-family home
  • Build, demolish or add a room, garage, shed or other enclosed structure attached to a house
  • Build, demolish or move any structure that is more than 200 square feet in area or has a height of more than 15 feet high measured from the grade plane to the average height of the highest roof surface
  • Add or enlarge a porch cover, patio cover, carport or other open-sided roofed structure with an area greater than 200 square feet that is attached to a house
  • Enclose a patio cover, porch or carport
  • Finish an attic, garage or basement to create habitable space
  • Add a bathroom in new or existing space
  • Cut new window or door opening, widen or reduce the size of existing openings
  • Move, remove or add walls
  • Build or replace an exterior stairway more than 30 inches above grade
  • Build a retaining wall that exceeds four feet high measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall or any retaining wall affected by the weight of an adjacent slope, or nearby driveway or structure
  • Build a deck more than 30 inches high
  • Put up a fence more than seven feet high
  • Move more than 10 cubic yards of earth
  • Pour concrete sidewalks, slabs and driveways more than 30 inches above adjacent grade or over any story or basement
  • Install a barrier around a swimming pool
  • Replace roofing in a wildfire hazard zone
  • Reroof a house or duplex when more than 15% of the existing roof sheathing is being removed and replaced
  • Tree planting, preservation, or related requirements may apply to your project under Title 11, Trees (the Tree Code). To find out more about these regulations and how they affect your project please visit the Trees area or call 503-823-TREE (8733).

Get more information about how to apply on the Building and Zoning Permit Application page. And, read more about residential building permits. The City of Portland also issues building permits for the City of Maywood Park. 

Work that requires a zoning permit

  • Build or install a garage or carport less than or equal to 200 square feet in area and less than 10 feet in height measured from the finished floor level to the top of the top plate to confirm the location on the site complies with zoning code requirements
  • Create a new or enlarged parking area or driveway, or pave a previously graveled parking area
  • Make any improvement required as a condition of your land use review approval which does not require a building permit
  • Make any alteration to the outside of the home, including site work like building a patio or deck, clearing trees, or installing landscaping in any zone with restrictions on development

Get more information about zoning permits.

Work that requires a residential mechanical permit

  • Install or change any part of a heating or cooling system which has duct work or must be vented into any kind of chimney or vent
  • Install a wood stove or fireplace insert
  • Install, alter or repair gas piping between the meter and an appliance (indoors and outdoors)
  • Install a fuel oil tank

Read more about residential mechanical permits.

Work that requires a residential electrical permit

You must be both the owner and occupant of the home in order to do electrical work yourself. If the home is intended for sale, lease, rent or exchange in the near future, work must be done by a licensed electrical contractor. A permit is required to:

  • Install, change or repair any hard-wired electrical system
  • Run any additional wiring, put in an additional electrical outlet or light fixture, or change your fuse box to circuit breakers
  • Install or alter low voltage systems such as security alarms, central vacuum systems, or low voltage lighting
  • Add or replace electrical wall/baseboard heaters

Read more about residential electrical permits.

Work that requires a residential plumbing permit

  • Repair, replace, relocate or add to the piping system within your home
  • Install new plumbing fixtures such as toilets, sinks, showers, tubs, dishwashers, etc.
  • Replace a water heater
  • Replace existing plumbing fixtures if the replacement involves concealed plumbing connections
  • Install rain drains, cesspools, septic systems, drywells, sewer lines, water lines, backflow prevention assemblies for lawn sprinkler systems or cap a sewer
  • Cap of fixtures that have been removed

Note: Adding a bathroom not only requires a plumbing and building permit, but may also require an electrical and/or mechanical permit.

Read more about residential plumbing permits.

Work that doesn't require a residential building permit

Some minor repairs and maintenance on one- or two-family homes do not require a building permit. The project must meet the Building and Zoning Code requirements even when a building permit is not required.

Additional Zoning regulations may apply to sites subject to land use reviews, sites within Overlay Zones—such as Environmental, Design and Historic Resource Protection—and sites within Plan Districts. For example, historic review may be required to paint the exterior of an historic landmark, design review may be required to replace exterior siding, or environmental review may be required to build a patio or deck. Minimum setbacks of five feet or greater may apply to sheds and other accessory structures. Call Planning and Zoning Information to confirm the zoning rules for your site and project.

Outside home repair projects 

  • Paint buildings
  • Install insulation in existing homes
  • Install storm windows
  • Install window awnings, not more than 54 inches deep and not in a design zone, that are supported by an exterior wall and do not project beyond the property line
  • Install gutters and downspouts (a plumbing permit may still be required for stormwater disposal)
  • Replace or repair siding
  • Replace or repair roofing, including replacement of no more than 15% of the existing roof sheathing (a maximum of three layers of roofing is allowed, except in a wildfire hazard zone)
  • Replace doors or windows if the existing openings are not widened or reduced in size
  • Install swings and other play structures
  • Build a fence up to seven feet high (except in front setback areas)
  • Pave a walkway
  • Build stairs, patio, or deck that is not more than 30 inches above grade
  • Build a shed or other non-habitable one-story detached accessory structure, provided that the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet and a wall height of 10 feet measured from the finished floor to the top of the top plate
  • Repave driveways where expansion is not proposed
  • Build a patio or porch cover not over 200 square feet and supported by an exterior building wall

Please note: If your property is in a flood hazard area, additional requirements apply. Contact Site Development to discuss your project.

Inside work

  • Replace interior wall, floor or ceiling covering (such as wallboard or sheet vinyl)
  • Install shelving and cabinets
  • Remove and reinstall a toilet when installing new floor covering
  • Replace accessible plumbing fixtures to make emergency plumbing repairs or to replace freeze-damaged or leaking concealed plumbing pipes that are no more than five feet in length

Schedule an inspection

  1. Call the 24-hour Requests for Inspection and Inspection Results phone number 
  2. Enter your IVR or permit number
  3. Enter the three-digit inspection code for the type of inspection you are requesting
  4. Enter a phone number where you can be reached during weekdays. Explain if you want the inspection in the morning or afternoon. Leave a voicemail with plan location or lockbox code.
  5. There must be an adult over age 18 to let the inspector inside

Read more about residential permit inspections.

Still need help? Schedule a 15-minute appointment 

If you have questions after reviewing the information on this page, we recommend you book a free 15-minute appointment with us. 

This is an optional step. We're here for you if you have questions about the information and materials you need to apply. 

This web page is also available as a PDF: 


Permitting General Information

Development Services

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Zoning Information Line

Development Services

phone number503-823-7526

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 5 pm. Leave a message with a phone number, the project address, and your questions.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Requests for Inspection

Development Services

phone number503-823-7000

Automated Line - Requires an IVR or permit number

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Site Development Permits and Inspections

phone number503-823-6892

Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Leave a message with detailed information.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service