The IVR is an automated phone system that allows you to request inspections and inspection results. You can:
- Schedule/cancel/reschedule inspections
- Get inspection results and messages from inspectors
- Get plan review status and other documents via fax
The IVR system is available 24 hours a day with only a small amount of down time on Saturday mornings. If for any reason IVR cannot complete your requested transaction, you may be forwarded to a staff person during business hours.
Once an inspector has finished your requested inspection(s), they post the inspection results to the IVR system. You can also access the results posted by the inspector by calling the Request Inspections and Inspections Results line.
Your IVR number is distinct from your Permit Number. The fastest way to schedule an inspection is to use your IVR number. Permits are tracked and inspections scheduled in the system using an assigned IVR number. When your permit is issued and printed, your IVR number will appear in the lower left-hand corner of your permit. If you are unsure of your IVR number, you may use your permit number to schedule inspections. IVR will translate your permit number to your IVR number and repeat it back to you for future use. You can also look up you IVR number on Portland Maps.
Scheduling an inspection
You can book an inspection online or by phone. To schedule an inspection, you need your IVR Request Number (or permit number), three-digit inspection code(s) of the inspection(s) you want to schedule and a way to record your confirmation number:
- Call the IVR Request an Inspection and Inspection Results line
- Select 1 to schedule an inspection
- Enter IVR number then # (or follow prompt to enter permit number)
- Enter three digit inspection code
- Enter 1 - 5 to select the from the next five working days
- Enter the area code and phone number then #
- Leave a message for the inspector if you need to (1=leave a message, 2=no message)
- Enter 1 to hear confirmation number and hang up, select 2 to schedule another inspection on the same permit, select 3 to schedule inspection on a different permit
Deadlines to schedule, reschedule or cancel an inspection
Same day inspections must be requested before 6:00 am. You must call before 6:00 am to reschedule or cancel an inspection. If you call to schedule the same day between 6:00 am and 8:00 am, you will be asked to call back after 8:00 am to talk to the inspections team.
Schedule a re-inspection
- If your inspection was not approved, you need to schedule a re-inspection after you have made the corrections.
- Use the same three digit code for the re-inspection.
- If you are scheduling the re-inspection the same day as the original inspection, wait until after 5:00 pm.
- You will not be able to reschedule the re-inspection until after the inspector has entered the results.
List of scheduled inspections
You can get a list of scheduled inspections on the IVR line. When you hear the Main Menu, select 6 on your telephone keypad. After entering your IVR number, the system will list the scheduled inspections on that permit. This feature works per permit, so have all your IVR numbers ready when you call.
Problems scheduling inspections with IVR system
You can only request inspections for permits that are "issued" or "under inspection". Any other status results in an error message "There is an error with your permit. Permit status not okay."
If your permit has any unpaid fees, inspections cannot be requested until you pay the fees.
Out of inspections
There is a limited number of inspections for Commercial, Residential, and Site Development Permits. The number of inspections is based on the valuation of your work. If you have used all your allowed inspections you will need to buy more. The IVR system will prompt you to buy more based upon current inspection limits. This may happen if you have multiple re-inspections.
System will not accept three digit inspection code
- You do not need to use the # key with the three digit inspection code. Re-enter the three digit code without using the # key.
- Make sure you are using the right inspection code on the right permit. You cannot request an electrical inspection on a commercial building permit.
If you continue to have problems, contact inspections for help.
Inspections for revisions and deferred submittals (DFS)
Revisions and deferred submittals have a separate IVR number from the main permit to be used to request an inspection and get inspection results. To request an inspection for a revision or deferred submittal use inspection code 999.
Getting plan review status
When you call the IVR - Request Inspections and Inspection Results line, press 4 from the main menu. You will need to supply a fax number where your plan review status can be sent. Plan review status reports are only available on permits that are under review. You can also look up plan review status on Portland Maps.
Using the IVR’s voicemail feature
You can record a message for your inspector. Be sure to press the # key when you're finished recording your message and then press 1 to send the message. The inspector won't receive your message if you don't press these keys to send your message.
Final building inspection vs. final permit inspection
Only use "299 Final – Structural" on RS, MI and MP permits. The purpose of this inspection is to get a final only for the building piece of the job. Use 999 Final to final the whole project. For finals on Commercial Building Permits, customers should request inspection 999.
Building permits are not final approved until the 999 inspection is approved.
Residential only inspections
There are two inspections available only for residential (RS) permits and not for Commercial (CO) permits:
299 Final Building (RS, MI, MP only)
Right of way inspections
You cannot schedule right-of-way inspections through the IVR system. To schedule these inspections call Portland Bureau of Transportation at 503-823-7002.
Today's residential inspections
Get information about today's scheduled residential inspections.
Learn more about the permits process and the inspections process
Learn more about: