Due to the current health emergency, most of Permitting Services are working from home with limited access to City resources. We appreciate your understanding during this difficult time. Thank you for your patience.
Permit review process: permit requests, technical reviews and pre-issuance
A permit’s review process happens in three phases:
- We receive your permit request. The preliminary review of the permit application, documents and drawings begins.
- Technical reviews of the application. Here, we make sure all codes and requirements are met and approved.
- Pre-issuance, the final quality-assurance check, is completed and approved before a permit is issued.
Permit requests: the preliminary review of your project
After you send us your permit request, we review your application to make sure it meets submittal requirements. If those requirements are not met, we will send you a list of what you need to complete your application through Development Hub PDX. For information about what to include in a project submittal, please review our building permits or trade permits guidelines.
This is what happens during the preliminary review:
- If your plans meet submittal requirements, we set up a building permit and request more screening by Planning & Zoning and Life Safety. These groups review the plans to make sure all applicable Building Code and Zoning Code requirements are met.
- If we need more information, we send you a list of what you need to complete your application through Development Hub PDX.
- Once the project has been approved by all three departments, we'll send you instructions about the next steps for your application.
When application review will happen
The application review is completed in chronological order based upon the time and date of submission. Check the reports linked here to find out more about the current order of permit requests.
Every recent permit request (updated daily)
Review the most recent list* of permits requested:
*If you don't see today's daily permit request list posted, please try a different browser or clear your cache/cookies/history and try again.
Check permit timelines
Get updated information about all building permits activity, BDS permit trends and the time it takes to issue permits. Statistics and data goes back to 2019.
Check permit status online and technical reviews begin
Once you get the instructions about next steps for your permit, technical reviews begin. You can follow the status of your permit online. Check the status of your permit online using Portland Maps. Learn more about tracking your building permit application and how to read the status report:
Applicant paid overtime form- request earlier project review
Some plan review groups accept requests for “Applicant Paid Overtime” to review projects earlier than the projected due date. However, all assigned reviews must be approved before we can issue a permit. Also, applicant paid overtime availability varies. You can email your completed applicant paid overtime form to Permitting Services.
Pre-issuance- the last review of your project
- Once pre-issuance is assigned, you can find the permit technician contact information on Portland Maps.
- We review plans to see what changes were made. We also make sure the changes do not require another review.
- If changes occur during the review process, the reviewers will be notified – this will show on PortlandMaps as ‘Hold see comments.’
- Review that fees are accurate.
When the final review happens and next steps for your permit
- This review is completed in chronological order based upon the sign-off date of the last technical review.
- Many things can delay the final review. For example, the number of changes to the plan, the complexity of the project and when we learn about any changes may all cause a delay.
- Once your pre-issuance check is completed, we'll contact you. We'll let you know the permit is ready to issue and we'll let you know about any fees due.
All permits currently in final review (updated daily)
Review the most recent* list:
*If you don't see today's daily pre-issuance list posted, please try a different browser or clear your cache/cookies/history and try again.