Are you a resident of a floating structure or someone who provides construction or remodeling services to floating homes or houseboats? Do you have a passion for making floating homes safer? If so, the City of Portland could benefit from your talents and passion.
About the River Community Advisory Committee
The River Community Advisory Committee (RCAC) is a citizen advisory body comprised of six members who represent the interests of those who live in or work on floating structures. Members are appointed by the Commissioner-in-charge of the Bureau of Development Services and confirmed by the City Council for three-year terms. The Committee assists the Bureau of Development Services with the development of procedures and administrative guidelines for implementing Title 28 of Portland City Code which governs floating structures.
In particular, the Committee provides the Bureau of Development Services with the following guidance:
- Leadership and expertise on issues affecting floating structures
- Feedback on the impact of potential regulations and administrative rules on floating structures, taking into consideration the full range of City goals and objectives
- Recommendations for regulatory, code, and administrative rule changes affecting floating structures
- Monitoring of the application and enforcement of regulations for their effectiveness in achieving the City’s goals
- Recommendations on customer service, permitting, process, and compliance improvements
- Advise the City of Portland on other matters covered under Title 28
Who can join
To be eligible for the RCAC, members must live, play, worship, go to school, work or do business in the City of Portland and be considered a member of one or more of the following categories:
- Floating home resident
- Marina operator
- Floating structures contractor
- Floating structures design professional
- Yacht club member
- On-the-water business owner
The City of Portland is currently recruiting for three open positions on this committee.
What we look for
We want people from every part of Portland here to share their voice on this committee, especially people who have not been involved before. If you want to serve your community and to help government make better choices, then we want to see your application. The attributes listed below are what will guide our selection process. It is helpful if you are specific in your answers. We do not expect you to be or have everything listed.
- You believe government is better when community is involved.
- You are an advocate for racial equity: you want positive and long-lasting outcomes for racial and ethnic communities who have been left out before. You can bring discussion about racial and ethnic communities who need it the most.
- You have a perspective on physically navigating the community with a disability.
- You are available to attend all meetings and participate in the discussions.
- The RCAC meets five times per year, usually over lunch during the noon hour. Meetings are traditionally held in City offices at 1900 SW 4th Avenue or at a yacht club facility. However, due to current public health restrictions, meetings are currently held online via Zoom. All meetings of the Committee are open to the public.
- Members serve a term of three years with the possibility of renewing for a second three-year term.
- We can provide interpreters who will translate the conversation in your language during the meeting. Please ask for an interpreter at least a week in advance of the meeting so we have enough time to make arrangements.
- You may need to read and write in your language. Verbal and written translations are performed by outside organizations. The dialects may be different than your home region and may be different on each document.
- We try to translate the written materials you ask for, but we may not be able to provide translation on all meeting documents.
- Members are expected to attend and participate in meetings consistently. Members are expected to prepare for meetings on their own time. Meeting materials may be sent with minimal time to review, possibly as little as 48 hours (or two days) in advance.
We remove barriers
Let us know if there are barriers to your participation. Public transportation or parking passes will be available if you need those to fully participate.
Public Official Conflict of Interest Notice
Those selected to serve on this body will be legally considered public officials for the duration of their service. As such, they will be required to publicly disclose potential conflicts of interest. Having potential conflicts of interest does not preclude you from serving on this body and may not impact your ability to participate fully on this body. Stakeholders often have potential conflicts of interest by the nature of having an interest in construction and development matters. The Conflict of Interest Disclosure is included in the application. Please describe all potential or actual conflicts of interest on your application.
How to apply
Applications are due no later than 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 10.
The application for appointment to this committee can be found here.
To talk with someone about this opportunity or to receive assistance completing the application, please contact the staff liaison, Dave Tebeau, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-823-4072.
Voluntary and confidential demographic information
Please also complete a separate, and optional, demographic survey.
The City of Portland is committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity and uses provided demographic information to help ensure that advisory body appointments represent a broad cross-section of community. Your information will not be used during the recruitment nor the selection process. State and federal law prohibit use of this information to discriminate against you. The City will treat this information as confidential to the fullest extent allowed by law.
For more information
For more information about the River Community Advisory Committee, please visit its website.
Sign up for email alerts and newsletters from the Bureau of Development Services.