The application through the online portal will take 15 to 30 minutes to complete. This is the fastest way to submit an application. After submitting your completed forms to the City, it may take up to 45 days to process your license.
Please follow all the directions below carefully - all applications should be submitted through the online system - Civic Portal.
The Application Process:
- Submitting a complete application to the City of Portland is the first step toward getting your liquor license from the OLCC.
- You must read all the instructions below and then submit a completed application through the online system.
- The City will then process your application and send you our recommendation in an email.
- The City's process takes a minimum of 30 days and up to 45 days.
- You will add our official recommendation document to your full OLCC application and submit all documents directly to the OLCC.
Step One: Gather Information and Forms
OLCC Liquor Licensing Forms
Download & complete the Annual Liquor License Application from the OLCC website. You will need to upload this to the portal as a PDF document.
OLCC Liquor Licensing Application Page - Questions about what kind of license you need? You must call the OLCC Licensing Help Line at 503-872-5217.
City of Portland Forms
The City of Portland is the Local Governing Body for all establishments serving liquor within the boundaries of the city. In addition to the OLCC application, the following information will be required in the application online system:
1. Collect personal information for all persons who are anticipated to have a financial interest in the business as well as key personnel. Required information: Legal name, social security number, contact information, driver's license state and number, and Life Long Arrest Record/DMV record (if any).
2. Collect information about the business operations - contact information, contact person, anticipated hours and days of operations, and expected activities (video poker, dancing, live music, etc)
3. Obtain an official digital copy of a Zoning Map (for New Outlet applications only).
To get a Zoning Map, email Location Approvals (LocationApproval@portlandoregon.gov).
Please include the following information in your email: Address of business and a short description of business (restaurant, store, wholesale, warehouse, home business or something else.)
There is no fee for the zoning verification map.
You will receive a PDF of the map within two business days of your request.
Step Two: Submit Application
Applications should be submitted through the online system - Civic Portal. If you have questions or are having trouble, please contact email@example.com before finalizing your application. Processing fees are non-refundable.
1. Create an account at Civic Portal
2. Log in and follow the prompts to select the appropriate application type. If you want to amend a non-renewing license that was originally issued before March 2023, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your license information added to the portal system.
Choose "New Application" for:
- Initial Application - New Outlet
- Initial Application - New Ownership of an existing establishment
Choose "My Records" and "Amendment" from the Action column for:
- Amendment Application - Includes all changes to license type of an existing license, lesser, greater or additional privilege, or add or drop licensee of record.
3. Fill out the required fields related to your application information, personal and business information.
4. Upload required documents as PDFs (OLCC application and Zoning Map, if required)
5. Pay your processing fee - $100 for New Outlet, $75 all other Annual application types
6. Submit and watch your application get processed in real time!
Step 3: Submit to the OLCC
1. Receive an email recommendation from the City of Portland between 30-45 days after submitting a complete application. Save the email's attached document - this is your Local Governing Body recommendation.
2. Add City of Portland recommendation email document to your annual liquor license application packet for the OLCC.
3. Submit directly to the OLCC following the rules on the OLCC website.
If you need an accommodation because of a disability or because you do not have access to online systems, please send an email to email@example.com requesting the appropriate forms.