COVID-19 Risk Level for Multnomah County: Lower Risk
Regional chlorine shortage: Portland water remains safe to drink

A regional chlorine shortage has disrupted supplies. The Portland Water Bureau is monitoring the situation and evaluating our supplies and procedures. Get updates.

How to Request Public Property Records from Development Services

Request public property records from the City of Portland. Find all available development and property-related public records. Get code enforcement records, land use records, pre-application conference records, early assistance records, permits records, zoning records and more.
On this page

For information not accessible online, or if you want a complete copy of records we maintain, you may make a record request online or by US Postal mail, depending on the record type. Records requests not submitted online may take a little longer as it needs to be entered manually. Submittal fees, material costs and staff time costs are applied to public records requests.

Request compliance records and public records for enforcement cases 

The Property Compliance Division maintains records for Housing, Nuisance, Zoning, Dangerous Buildings, Work without Permit, and Home Occupation Permits. 

Complainant Confidentiality: Please note that per ORS 192.502(4), confidential submissions (complainant information) are exempt from disclosure under the Oregon Public Records Law. Complainant information shall be removed from all public records requests. 

You can request public records for enforcement cases:

To learn more about the program, visit the Code Enforcement webpage.

Readily available online records from Development Services

Some records, or portions of records, maintained by the Bureau of Development Services may be found online free of charge:

Records request fees and process timeline

The Public Records Law allows public agencies like the City to establish reasonable fees to be reimbursed for the actual costs of making the records available. Actual costs include paper or other media and mailing expenses, as well as time spent locating, reviewing, redacting, copying, and supervising a person's inspection of original records in order to protect them. Actual costs also may include time spent by an attorney to review, redact or segregate records for possible exemptions. 

The Bureau of Development Services records request fees can be found in the City of Portland Standard Fee Schedule for Public Records Requests. For Resource/Records requests, minimum records request fees is per address based on the record types identified in your records request. If the minimum records request fee does not cover the estimated cost of making the records available, you will be contacted with a preliminary cost estimate. A 50% deposit on the preliminary estimate is required prior to any additional work being performed to make the records available. 

Once BDS receives the necessary payment, work on your public records request will begin. Full payment of the actual costs incurred to make requested records available is required before records can be viewed or released.

Eligibility for reduced or waived fees 

BDS will consider reducing or waiving fees associated with Public Records Requests on a case-by-case basis. You will need to submit your current federal tax returns, statement of benefits from a social service agency, or other documentation showing current income along with your records request. We understand that the information we are requesting may contain confidential information such as your Social Security number. Feel free to redact such information before providing us a copy.


The time it takes BDS to process these request can vary depending on the size or complexity of the request, day-to-day workload and staffing availability. The bureau does not have full-time assigned staff to making records available. 

Generally, a requestor will either receive their requested records or an estimated cost for making the records available within two weeks from receipt of completed forms and payment. 

If you have questions or concerns about Public Records Request process, please contact the Public Information Officer.

Resource records

Resource Records section maintains copies of plans for issued building, site development, and zoning permits; permit inspection cards; sign permits, and Certificates of Occupancy.

Some permit plans / permitting documents are available online. Find information about what types of documents are available online: 

If you are interested in active permits, please contact the Development Services Center phone number and speak with the Document Services area for permits currently under review. For permits under inspection, call the Commercial Inspections- Electrical phone number or the Residential Inspections phone number. 

These steps outline how to request records from Resource Records:

  • Step one: Make sure you have the correct property address. If you are unsure of the correct address, please use the City of Portland web-based Portlandmaps.com to find an exact address or R account number.
  • Step two: Use the required forms. Complete the following forms for each address records are being requested for​​​​ Copyright Release Form & Request for Reproduction of Copyrighted Materials are required for reproducing plans.  
  • Step three: Request the records online.
  • Step four: Pay the minimum records request fee. A minimum records request fee of $15 per address is required at the time of requesting records. 

Depending on the number, size and complexity of the records request, it may require additional time and/or fees for processing. 

Land Use applications records management

For active land use applications, contact the planner listed on the land use notice. For completed land use applications,submit online with GovQA. You must have the land use case number. The status of the land use application scan be found in Portland Maps - Permit and Case Search.

Land Use review, pre-application conference and public registry files 

The Land Use Services Division maintains all records of land use review, pre-application conference, early assistance, and public registry files.

To make a request to review completed Land Use applications, including land use reviews, pre-application conferences, early assistance appointments, and public registry files, submit online with GovQA

To make a request to review active Land Use applications, including land use reviews, pre-application conferences, early assistance appointments, and public registry files, please contact the planner listed on the land use review notice or listed in Portland Maps - Permit and Case Search

Note that the completed/active status of land use applications can be found in Portland Maps - Permit and Case Search.

To learn more about the Land Use Review Division, visit the Zoning and Land Use area.

All other records types

For records that do not fall under Enforcement Program, Land Use Division or Resource Records type, for example records related to policies, procedures, or emails, begin your request for public records online.

Translated records request forms

The City's Auditor's Office maintains translated COP Uniform public records request forms that you can use to request records.

Media requests 

If you are a member of the press, please submit a public records request online.


Commercial Inspections - Electrical

Development Services

phone number503-823-7304

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 4 pm. Leave a message with detailed information.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Development Services Center

Development Services

phone number503-823-7310

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 5 pm. Leave a message with detailed information.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Property Compliance Help Line

Development Services

phone number503-823-2633

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 4 pm. Leave a message with detailed information.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Residential Inspections

Development Services

phone number503-823-7388

Monday through Friday from 8:15 am - 3:45 pm. Leave a detailed message.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service
fax number503-823-7693