COVID-19 Risk Level for Multnomah County: Lower Risk
Regional chlorine shortage: Portland water remains safe to drink

A regional chlorine shortage has disrupted supplies. The Portland Water Bureau is monitoring the situation and evaluating our supplies and procedures. Get updates.

Home Occupation Permits - Running a Business Out of Your Home

Get required forms and helpful information for running a business out of your home. Learn about applying for home-based business permits in Portland. Learn about zoning requirements around running a home business. If you're using your home for your business, find out what rules to follow.
On this Page

Required applications and important forms

Using your home for your business

If you are operating a business out of your home, there are zoning code rules you must follow. The rules are to make sure the business activity does not disrupt the nearby homes.

This page has information on the zoning code rules about using your home for your business. The Revenue Division has more information about registering your business with the City of Portland.

There are two types of home occupations, Type A and Type B.

  • In home childcare that qualifies as "family day care" does not need a home occupation permit. For more information call the State of Oregon Child Care Division at 1-800-556-6616.
  • Bed and breakfasts are not home occupations. For more information, contact Planning and Zoning.
  • Contact signs for questions about signage on a home business.

If you have questions about home occupation rules, contact Planning & Zoning.

Codes & rules for operating a business from your home

Accessory home occupations are activities connected to those uses in the Household Living Category of the Portland City Code Title 33 Zoning Code. The rules for the home occupations are in 33.203 Accessory Home Occupations.

Type A home occupation permits

Type A home occupation is where you use your home as a place of work and no employees or customers come to the site. Examples include artists, craftspeople, writers and consultants.

Type A home occupations also provide an opportunity for a home used as a business address but not as a place of work. A permit is not required for Type A home occupation, but Type A home occupations must follow the zoning code rules.

Type B home occupation permits

Type B home occupation is where you use your home as a place of work and either one employee or a maximum of eight customers come to the site. Examples are counseling, tutoring, and hair cutting and styling.

Type B home occupation permit is not allowed:

  • When a residence has an accessory dwelling unit
  • When there is another Type B Home Occupation permitted for the residence
  • For repairing or assembling vehicles, lawn mowers or large appliances
  • When there is a Type A Accessory Short Term Rental

Still need help? Schedule a 15-minute appointment 

If you have questions after reviewing the information on this page, we recommend you book a free 15-minute appointment with us. This is an optional step. We're here for you if you have questions about the information and materials you need to apply. 

Meet with a City Planner 

  • We recommend you meet with city planner about planning and zoning or tree code requirements before submitting building permits.  
  • Get information on rules that apply to your property. 

This is an optional meeting. Only book if you have questions.

Meet with a City Planner

*Not all review groups may be listed. The group listed above will help get you started. 

Home business permit application process 

  1. Fill out the Type B Home Occupation permit application
  2. Notify your neighbors and your neighborhood association that you plan to start a home business
  3. Return your completed application and a copy of your neighborhood notification with the fee listed on the application to:

Property Compliance 
Bureau of Development Services
1900 SW 4th Avenue, Suite 5000
Portland, OR 97201-5379

If you have questions about the application process, contact Property Compliance Help Line or send us an email. 

Review process and Inspections

The Property Compliance section of Development Services reviews permit applications.

The zoning inspector will visit your business to make sure the regulations are being met. Upon approval, a permit is issued for two years. Permits can be renewed every two years.


Property Compliance Help Line

Development Services

phone number503-823-2633

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 4 pm. Leave a message with detailed information.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Zoning Information Line

Development Services

phone number503-823-7526

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 5 pm. Leave a message with a phone number, the project address, and your questions.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Sign Permit Information

Development Services

phone number503-823-7996

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 5 pm. Leave a message with detailed information.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service