File a building code appeal, electrical code appeal, mechanical code appeal or a plumbing code appeal. File appeal forms and pay appeal fees by mail or online. Get help with filing your appeal.
Your complete Building Code Appeal Packet consists of the Building, Electrical, Mechanical or Plumbing code appeal application(s), plans and any supplemental information, and the Appeal fee.
Appeal Packets will be screened for completeness. Submittal of inaccurate or incomplete forms may cause a delay in hearing the appeal. Refer to “How to Write Your Appeal” for additional information.
You may submit your building code appeal online, by mail or in-person. Mailed or hand delivered plans, supplemental information and/or fees for online appeals must be received by 9 a.m. Thursday to be heard at the following Wednesday's appeal meeting. They must be clearly marked "Appeals" and include the Appeal ID number assigned to your online application submittal so your information is attached to the correct application.
Submit your appeal online
- Online Appeals applications must be received before 9 a.m. Thursday to be heard at the following Wednesday’s appeal meeting. An appeal may be delayed for a later date due to the number of appeals scheduled for hearing, the complexity of the appeal being submitted, or other unforeseen factors.
- Plans - In addition to your code appeal application, you can submit your plans and any supplemental information electronically as PDFs along with your online application submittal.
- Fees can be paid online or by mail (check out Fee payments for filing an appeal below).
- Plans or supplemental information that cannot submitted online can be mailed.
Submit your appeal by mail
- Mailed appeals applications must be received by BDS before 9 a.m. Thursday to be heard at the following Wednesday’s administrative appeal meeting. However, an appeal may be deferred for hearing at a later date due to the number of appeals scheduled for hearing, the complexity of the appeal being submitted, or other unforeseen factors.
- Appeal plans and any supplemental information must also be received by 9 a.m. on Thursday to ensure that they will be included with the appeal the following Wednesday.
For questions regarding the appeal packet submittal, please call the Building Code of Appeals phone number.
Fee payments for filing an appeal
Appeal fees must be paid by the time the appeal is heard by the Board. Results will not be posted until payment is received.
- Online: After you submit an appeal, we will email you a payment slip with a link to the online payment system. This system can accept both checks and credit cards. This is the preferred method of payment and will help avoid delays.
- Mail: Checks should be made payable to “Treasurer, City of Portland” and have the project address written in the memo field. Note, paying by check may cause a delay in processing your application. Pay online if at all possible.