Ask questions first
Consult with plan reviewers or inspectors before submitting an appeal. They can help identify code requirements and possible alternative solutions. You can also read more about the appeal process.
File building code, electrical, mechanical and plumbing code appeals
A complete appeal packet includes the appeal application, plans/supplemental information and the fee. Plans or supplemental information that cannot submitted online can be mailed.
Appeal Packets will be screened for completeness. Submittal of inaccurate or incomplete forms may cause a delay in hearing the appeal. Refer to “How to Write an Appeal and Fill Out an Application for an Appeal” for more information. Filing online is the preferred method for starting an appeal and will help avoid delays.
The appeal packet must be submitted online by 9 a.m. Thursday, in order to be included at the following Wednesday's appeal meeting.
After you submit an appeal, we will email you a payment slip with a link to the online payment system. This system can accept both checks and credit cards.
The following fees must be submitted with your application:
- Commercial appeals - $604 (includes 2 appeal items)
- Residential appeals - $289
- Commercial additional item fee - $147 (each appeal item over 2)
Learn more about the appeals boards
- Building Code Board of Appeal: The Building Code Board of Appeal hears appeals of building code issues which are appealed beyond the Administrative Appeals Board.
- Electrical Code Board of Appeal: The Electrical Code Board of Appeal hears appeals where an applicant is aggrieved by the findings of the Director.
- Mechanical Code Board of Appeal: The Mechanical Board of Appeal determines the suitability of alternate materials and types of construction and provides for reasonable interpretations of the provisions of the Mechanical Code.
- Plumbing Code Board of Appeal: The Plumbing Code Board of Appeal hears appeals of plumbing code issues that are appealed beyond the Administrative Appeals Board.