Read more about the services of the Field Issuance Remodel (FIR) Program during the COVID-19 outbreak.
The Bureau of Development Services is committed to protecting public health and is changing the ways we deliver services in order to help slow the spread of COVID-19 while also supporting the economy and people’s livelihoods.
The Development Services Center at 1900 SW Fourth Avenue is temporarily closed to walk-in traffic in compliance with Governor Brown’s Executive Order. Here is information for how customers of the Field Issuance Remodel (FIR) program can access its services.
Permit application and plan submittals
- Digital plans for residential projects are in accepted in PDF format with a maximum of 20 pages. Please email plans directly to your FIR inspector.
- Paper plans are accepted with pages that exceed 11” x 17” in size or the maximum 20 pages allowed for PDF format. Please contact your FIR Inspector to discuss options for submitting your permit application and plans.
- Please communicate with your FIR Inspector to determine if drop-off is required for your specific project. Drop-offs are by appointment only and must be arranged with your FIR Inspector.
- Checksheet responses and plan submittal drop-offs are accepted by appointment only between 9 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday. Please call the Field Issuance Remodel (FIR) Program phone number when you arrive. The Development Services Building remains closed to the public at this time.
- All inspection requests must be scheduled directly with the assigned FIR Inspector and not through the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. Your FIR Inspector will contact you to confirm your inspection request.
- Non-critical inspections that require entry into occupied homes are being postponed to protect our staff and customers.
- If there is anyone exhibiting signs of illness at the inspection site, customers are asked to wait to schedule an inspection until at least 72 hours after symptoms have passed.
Inspections in occupied homes can be performed using various video tools including FaceTime and Skype. If any inspection must be conducted onsite, please contact your FIR Inspector to arrange and coordinate your inspection following necessary COVID-19 inspection protocols before an inspector arrives.