Learn more about trade permits needed for electrical, mechanical and plumbing work. You might also want to read more about requirements for specific trade permit types. Find out if you need trade permits and what kind of permits you need.
You need an electrical permit for these projects
- Add an outlet
- Air conditioner (you also need a mechanical permit for this project)
- Replace a service panel
You need a mechanical permit for these projects
- Air conditioner (you also need an electrical permit for this project)
- Decommission oil tank- If you have a residential property, call the Fire Marshal at (503) 823-3934. If you have a commercial property, call the Fire Marshal at (503) 823-3712 for permit requirements. You can also contact the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) or call them (800) 452-4011.
- Replace a furnace
You need a plumbing permit for these projects
- Add a bathroom to a house. You'll also need a building permit and an electrical permit for this project.
- Replace plumbing fixtures in same location
- Replace water lines
If you plan to decommission a septic tank or cesspool, you'll need a septic evaluation permit. This is also included with a building permit. Installing a water meter is included in the building permit. Call (503) 823-1526 when marked and ready for installation.
Start a new trade permit application
Learn how to apply for a trade permit online using Development Hub PDX. To learn more about applying for a trade permit in person, click here. The related webpages have more information about permit types and the permit review process.
In addition, here are the building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and zoning permit applications: