The City of Portland welcomes the opportunity to work with you on your trade permit project. Learn more about what's required for your project and find out if you need permits. Learn more about trade permits needed for home repair and remodeling projects that need electrical, mechanical and plumbing work.
This webpage can help you decide if you need a trade permit for your project. If you need a permit, the next step will be to read about permit requirements on the linked webpages. You might also want to read more about requirements for specific trade permit types.
You need an electrical permit for these home repair projects
- Add an outlet
- Air conditioner (you also need a mechanical permit for this project)
- Replace a service panel
You need a mechanical permit for these home repair projects
- Air conditioner (you also need an electrical permit for this project)
- Decommission oil tank- If you have a residential property, call the Fire Marshal at (503) 823-3934. If you have a commercial property, call the Fire Marshal at (503) 823-3712 for permit requirements. You can also contact the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) or call them (800) 452-4011.
- Replace a furnace
You need a plumbing permit for these home remodeling projects
- Add a bathroom to a house. You'll also need a building permit and an electrical permit for this project.
- Replace plumbing fixtures in same location
- Replace water lines
If you plan to decommission a septic tank or cesspool, you'll need a septic evaluation permit. This is also included with a building permit. Installing a water meter is included in the building permit. Call (503) 823-1526 when marked and ready for installation.
Development Services permit types
Learn more about Development Services permits:
- Commercial permits for commercial construction sites (including multi-family dwellings)
- Other permits include banner permits, changing occupancy permits, sign permits and more
- Outside work permits include concrete patio permits, decommission permits, driveway permits, sewer connection permits and more
- Residential permits are for home repair work done on one and two-family homes. This webpage also has information about projects that don't need a permit.
Start a new trade permit application for your home repair or home remodeling project
Learn how to apply for a trade permit online using Development Hub PDX. To learn more about applying for a trade permit in person, click here. The related webpages have more information about permit types and the permit review process.
In addition, here are the building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and zoning permit applications: