Do You Need a Permit for Your Project?

Housing inspector talks with customer
When is a residential permit needed? When don't you need a permit for a 1 or 2-family home? Learn about residential building permits, electrical permits, mechanical permits, plumbing permits and zoning permits and work that requires a permit for a 1 or 2-family home. Also known as Brochure 2.
On this page

Quick links to popular construction categories.

Residential Projects

One to two-family units

Residential projects that require permits

Commercial Projects

Three or more family units and businesses

Commercial projects that require permits

Why you need permits

  • It’s the law. State Building Code requires that permits be obtained for certain types of work. Permits provide a legal record of work performed.
  • Permits protect you, your family, your business and your investment. They are designed to help ensure that licensed contractors do the work when required.
  • Inspections ensure that work is done safely and that it meets the minimum code requirements.
  • Minor problems that could lead to costly repairs, liability and life/safety issues can be detected during permit inspections and brought to your attention before the situation worsens.
  • When selling a property, the buyer, realtor and/or lender may require that unpermitted work be corrected, properly permitted and inspected before closing.
  • Lack of permits and inspection approvals may void insurance.

How to search for permit requirements for your project

These webpages are meant to help you decide if you need a permit.

To find more information about how to apply for a permit and to get required forms, search for the home repair or project type. For example, "ADU permits" or "Deck permits."

You can also read through the full list of all building permits webpages or trade permits webpages for information about requirements for home repair permits and commercial projects. Visit commercial permits and inspections or residential permitting

You might also want to read more about what you need for a building permit and the permit review process. 

Who can do the work

Contractors must have a license to work in Oregon. The Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) issues licenses to contractors.

The permit application and application materials must list the license number.

Need help finding a contractor? The CCB website has good tips on how to search for one. Plumbing and electrical contractors have additional license requirements. If you are a homeowner doing the work yourself, then you can sign the trade permit applications. You cannot do electrical work yourself. You must hire a licensed electrical contractor to do any electrical work.

Projects that need Development Services permits 

Learn more about different types of projects that require permits: 

  • Commercial permits for commercial construction sites (including multi-family dwellings) 
  • Other permits include banner permits, changing occupancy permits, sign permits and more 
  • Outside work permits include concrete patio permits, decommission permits, driveway permits, sewer connection permits and more
  • Residential permits are for home repair work done on one and two-family homes. This webpage also has information about projects that don't need a permit. 
  • Trade permits for adding a bathroom, replacing plumbing fixtures or adding water lines

Where you can get a permit

You can apply online for a permit or in-person. 

Still not sure if you need a permit? Schedule a 15-minute appointment 

If you have questions about permits for commercial projects, home repair, remodeling or new build projects, we recommend you book a free 15-minute appointment with us. This is an optional step. We're here for you if you have questions about the information and materials you need to apply. 


General Inquiries

Development Services
phone number503-823-7300Our front desk team will be available to answer Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please leave a message if you call outside of those hours.
Oregon Relay Service711Oregon Relay Service

Permitting General Information

Development Services
Oregon Relay Service711Oregon Relay Service

Requests for Inspection

Development Services
phone number503-823-7000Automated Line - Requires an IVR or permit number
Oregon Relay Service711Oregon Relay Service