Permitting Services from Other City of Portland Bureaus

Learn more about how to apply for permits and receive inspections from Environmental Services, Fire and Rescue, Transportation, Urban Forestry and Water.
On this page

Environmental Services – UR or UC Permits for ROW Lateral Repair or Connections to public sewer

Visit Environmental Services' Guide to UR and UC Permits – Lateral Repairs and Connections to Public Sewers for information on permitting your sewer lateral work in the public right-of-way or in a public sewer easement.

For information on the application process, please visit:

Portland Fire and Rescue permitting services

  • The Fire Marshal’s Office: For questions about a property or project, please call 503-823-3712 or email Portland Fire and Rescue.
  • Permit-related inspections will continue and can be scheduled online or via phone at 503-823-1199. If there is anyone exhibiting signs of illness at the inspections site, please wait to schedule the inspection.
  • Questions: Please call 503-823-3770 or email the Fire Marshal for permit-related or fire inspection questions.

Urban Forestry tree permitting services

Tree preservation and tree density requirements apply to many development projects, including new construction, additions, and exterior renovations. When applicable, tree requirements will be reviewed as part of your building permit application. Please see detailed information for development permit tree plan requirements. For more information, check out the Trees and Development area.

For questions, please contact Urban Forestry. You can also call the Tree Hotline at 503-823-TREE (8733). Please note the tree hotline is not answered live. Please leave a voicemail message and your call will be returned within three business days. For more information, check out Urban Forestry news.

Transportation temporary street use permits 

Get information about temporary street use permits (the temporary closure of a street, lane, or sidewalk, and parking reservations).

Water permitting services 

  • Fee statement requests: Please email Water a completed W-6 form with the words “fee statement request” and the site address in the subject line. Turnaround time will be 3-5 business days in most circumstances. You will be notified if the expected turnaround time will be longer.
  • Payment of Fee Statements: We are no longer able to process payments made directly to the Water Bureau. We take payments online through Development Hub PDX or by phone at the Development Services Cashier (call 503-823-5161).
    • If you have received a fee statement from the Water Bureau, please contact us to request a unique IVR number that will allow you to make a payment through Development Hub PDX.
    • If you are requesting a new fee statement, we will automatically create and send you the unique IVR number that will allow you to make a payment through Development Hub PDX. Development Hub PDX accepts credit cards (VISA, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover) as well as electronic check/ACH transfers.
  • Installation of Services: Water Bureau crews are continuing to install services but are operating with a reduced workforce. Please allow additional time for your service installation to be completed. After your fee statement has been paid, you can schedule your installation by emailing our Scheduling group or calling 503-823-1526.
  • Water Utility Locates: Water locators are continuing to provide locate services but are operating with a reduced workforce. Please allow additional time for the requested locates to be completed. To request locates, please dial 811, the Oregon Utility Notification Center (OUNC). If you have an urgent need for Water locates, please email us and describe your situation.

Public Works Permits

For information about Public Works permits and process (when private development triggers public right-of-way improvements, such as streets, sidewalks, corner ramps, public sewer, stormwater management, street trees, public water, and street lighting), please visit Public Works.  You can also email Public Works Permitting or call the Public Works hotline at 503-823-1987.