Learn more about types of permits for commercial construction sites (including multi-family dwellings) and when they're needed. Find out if you need permits and what kind of permits you need.
What you need for a complete permit application
Search Portland.gov for a project type to find out what you need for a complete application. For example, search for "Commercial Alteration" or "short term rental."
Special programs for commercial customers
New construction that requires a building permit
- Construct new commercial building
- Construct new multifamily building
Alterations to existing structures that require a building permit
- Cell phone antenna- Contact Land Use Review to see if Land Use Review is required.
- Change the Use or Occupancy in an Existing Building.
- Construct an addition
- Demolish a structure
- Day care center -Contact Land Use Review to see if Land Use Review is required.
- Disabled access upgrades
- Install racks/storage shelving
- Install siding
- Move or construct walls, even if non-bearing partitions
- Replace or add new windows or doors
- Seismic upgrade
- Tenant improvements
For asbestos abatement, contact the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) or call them (800) 452-4011.
Start a new permit application
The related webpages have more information about specific permit types and the permit review process.
In addition, here is a quick link to the building permit application:
Commercial permit inspections
Read more about commercial permit inspections.
Still need help? Schedule a 15-minute appointment
If you have questions after reviewing the information on this page, we recommend you book a free 15-minute appointment with us.
This is an optional step. We're here for you if you have questions about the information and materials you need to apply.