COVID-19 Safety, Recovery and Resilience

Face coverings are required in indoor public spaces and many outdoor spaces. State policy
Access City programs, people and projects helping Portland recover. Portland United

Volunteer. Play. Stay. Shop. Show the Rose City a little love. Here for Portland

Electrical Permits- Commercial

Apply for a commercial electrical permit. Get the commercial electrical permit and commercial electrical inspection. Find all forms for a commercial electrical permit including the electrical permit application. Any electrical work in a commercial building needs a commercial electrical permit.

15 minutes if plans are not needed

On this Page
Commercial electrical inspector working at a job site

Who can do the work?

Any electrical work in commercial buildings needs a permit. Only a licensed contractor can buy a commercial electrical permit. 
Contractors must have a license to work in Oregon. The Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) issues licenses to contractors. The permit application and their company materials must list the license number. Need help finding a contractor? The CCB website has good tips on how to search for one. 

To do most electrical work, contractors must also have their BCD electrical license and a BCD supervising electrical license.

Commercial electrical permit fees

Based on the scope of work, the fees are listed on the electrical permit application. 

On the application you will need to describe the scope of work and provide a detailed list of all electrical work. If you have questions, contact Commercial Inspections-Electrical. 

Apply for a commercial electrical permit

If plan review is not needed, you can get your commercial electrical permit via Development Hub PDX

You can also submit your completed application by email

If you need to submit paper plans, you can set up an appointment to pick up plans or drop off plans in person. Or, please call us and we will work with you. 

If the electrical work needs plans, you can submit the application with plans online through Development Hub.  This includes:

  • Fire pump
  • Emergency system
  • Addition of new motor load of 100 HP or more
  • Six or more residential units
  • Patient care areas of health care facilities
  • Recreational vehicle parks
  • Hazardous locations
  • Supply over 600 volts nominal
  • Service or feeder 400 amps or more where the available fault current exceeds 10,000 amps at 150 volts or less to the ground, or exceeds 14,000 amps for all other installations
  • Service or feeder 600 amps or over
  • Building over three stories
  • Marinas and boatyards
  • Floating buildings
  • Commercial use agricultural buildings
  • Installation of 150 KVA or larger separately derived system
  • A, E, I-2, I-3 occupancies
  • Voluntary plan review

You will need submit two sets of electrical plans drawn to scale with: 

  • Definitions for legends used 
  • Clearly the location of the work. 
  • Show the type and extent of the work
  • Show in detail that the work conforms to the applicable electrical code requirements, laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations

The plans need to also contain the following:

  • Feeder riser diagram showing panel location and circuit schedules
  • One line riser diagram diagram showing bonding and grounding and conductor sizes
  • Available fault current current on the line side of service disconnect
  • Complete load calculations (or provide applicable load records) for all new installations and for additions to existing installations
  • Fixture schedule, showing type, location, and layout of the fixtures
  • Address of the installation and name of owner and address
  • Identification of the employer, identification and signature of person who prepared the plan, license number if the person is an electrical supervisor and professional registration number if the person is an architect or registered professional electrical engineer
  • Location of emergency systems, identifying the power source and the system on plan

Online Permits - Development Hub

Plan review

The Commercial Electrical section of the Bureau of Development Services reviews the plans.  It generally takes ten business days to review and issue the permit. If you have questions call Commercial Electrical Inspections.  

Commercial electrical inspections, results and corrections

To schedule an inspection, call the automated inspection request line. You will need your IVR or permit number and the three digit code for the inspection.

Get the results of the inspection online on Portland Maps.

Not approved - there are some reasons why the electrical work did not get approved:

  • no access - the inspector may not have been able to inspect the work
  • incomplete work
  • code violations

The inspector will list the corrections needed on the inspection report. 
Call for a reinspection after making the corrections. Use the same three digit inspection code.
If you make the corrections the same day wait until 5 pm to request a reinspection. The inspector needs to enter their results before you can schedule the reinspection.

There is a reinspection fee charged for more than one reinspection for a single issue.

Apply for a trade permit extension or a trade permit reactivation

Apply for a trade permit extension or a reactivation: 

Trade Permit Extensions

Trade Permit Reactivations

Small Business Empowerment Program

The Small Business Empowerment Program assists Black, Indigenous and people of color business owners and business owners with disabilities recognized by the ADA who have experienced barriers in the review process. Learn more about how we can help

Contact commercial electrical inspectors

If you have questions before your inspection, you can talk to an inspector. The commercial electrical inspector area map lists the inspector's name, area, and phone number. The best time to reach an inspector is between 7:30 am - 8:00 am.

In-Plant Inspections for Electrical Master Permit (Industrial Plant) program

The Electrical Master Permit (Industrial Plant) Program promotes electrical safety and is a more efficient way for handling repair, alteration or replacement of electrical products in qualified facilities. 

When a facility registers with the Electrical Master Permit Program, no separate permit is required to do work allowed under the program. Employees holding the appropriate electrical licenses, or by State of Oregon licensed electrical contractors can do the Electrical work.


Commercial Inspections - Electrical

Development Services

phone number503-823-7304

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 4 pm. Leave a message with detailed information.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Requests for Inspection

Development Services

phone number503-823-7000

Automated Line - Requires an IVR or permit number

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service

Trade Permit Information (Electrical, Mechanical & Plumbing)

Development Services

phone number503-823-7363

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 5 pm. Leave a message with detailed information.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service