The Bureau of Development Services carries out City and State codes and administrative rules. Get code and program guides that explain how the codes and rules are applied.
State Building Codes and Administrative Rules
State building codes and related administrative rules and interpretations are listed below.
- Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS):
- ORS 446 (Manufactured dwellings and structures; parks; tourist facilities; ownership records; dealers and dealerships)
- ORS 447 (Plumbing; architectural barriers)
- ORS 455 (Building Code)
- ORS 460 (Elevators; amusement rides and devices)
- ORS 479 (Protection of buildings from fire; electrical safety law)
- ORS 480 (Explosives; flammable materials; pressure vessels)
- State Building Codes
- Oregon Administrative Rules 918
- Building Codes Division Statewide Code Interpretations
- Statewide Alternate Methods
- State Appeal Decisions
- Adopted Energy Codes and Standards
The Bureau of Development Services administers the following City codes:
- Chapter 3.30 Bureau of Development Services
- Title 4 Original Art Murals
- Title 10 Erosion and Sediment Control Regulations
- Title 11 Trees
- Title 24 Building Regulations
- Title 25 Plumbing Regulations
- Title 26 Electrical Regulations
- Title 27 Heating and Ventilating Regulations
- Title 28 Floating Structures
- Title 29 Property Maintenance Regulations
- Title 31 Fire Regulations
- Title 32 Signs and Related Regulations
- Title 33 Zoning Code
- Chapter 16.60 Motor Vehicle Fuels
- Other City Titles
Bureau of Planning & Sustainability administers the following City codes related to permitting:
City Administrative Rules
Administrative rules clarify the intent of Portland City codes or create standards to comply with Portland City codes.
Determination of Rough Proportionality for Major Public Trail Requirements
Parade Event Marking
Special Inspection Program - Temporary Rules
Code guides provide answers about the application of specific codes.
- City Title Code Guides
- Commercial Building Code Guides
- Commercial Mechanical Code Guides
- Commercial Plumbing Code Guides
- Commercial Electrical Code Guides
- One and Two Family Dwelling Code Guides
- Rescinded Code Guides
Business Practice Policies
Business Practice Policies are policies related to business operations of Bureau of Development Services and the Development Services Center at the discretion of the Bureau of Development Services Director.
Program guides provide information on various complex BDS programs and processes.
Development Services Director's Interpretations
Building Official's Determinations
PBOT Codes & Guides
How to Request a Code Change
- To request a change to the City Codes that Bureau of Development Services administers and enforces, send us an email and choose “Code Change Recommendation” for the Subject.
- You can recommend a regulatory improvement change.