Memorial Day closure

Most City of Portland offices will be closed Monday, May 27, in observance of Memorial Day.

Other types of short-term rentals

There are situations in which the operation of a short-term rental does not require a Type A permit or a Type B conditional use, nor a long-term resident. These situations apply when the zoning for a property, and the building’s use or occupancy, allows for commercial transient lodging.

The applicable language from City’s zoning code (Portland City Code Chapter 33.207.030) reads: “In zones where Retail Sales And Service uses are allowed, limited or conditional uses, accessory short-term rentals may be regulated either as a Retail Sales And Service use, or as an accessory short-term rental under the regulations of this chapter. The decision is up to the applicant.”

Zones in which Retail Sales and Service are allowed without restriction include:

Zones in which Retail Sales and Service are allowed with limitations and restrictions in certain areas include:

Learn more about how to research the zoning of your property.

To qualify as a Retail Sales and Service use, a change of occupancy or use may be required to verify compliance with commercial zoning development standards and building code occupancy requirements. Until a permit for a change of occupancy or use permit achieves final status, the existing use and occupancy remains in effect and a Type A ASTR permit or Type B conditional use is required to operate a short-term rental.

If you would like to operate a short-term rental and wish to pursue a change of occupancy or use, start by contacting the Bureau of Development Services at 503-823-7300 or schedule a 15-minute appointment with a city planner to obtain the options for your property’s zone. After confirming your zoning options, please schedule a 15-minute appointment with a Building Code Reviewer to learn more about the requirements for a change of occupancy to a Retail Sales and Service use.

If your property allows for commercial transient lodging, based on the zoning and building’s use or occupancy, it may be added to the City’s short-term rental registry. Properties listed on the short-term registry that are not subject to Type A or Type B ASTR requirements are identified as “Other” in the “Permit Type” column of the short-term rental registry. These properties are placed on the short-term registry by the Revenue Division in the Office of Management and Finance. Questions about these listings should be directed to the Revenue Division at or 503-865-2857.


General Inquiries

Development Services
phone number503-823-7300Our front desk team will be available to answer Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please leave a message if you call outside of those hours.
Oregon Relay Service711Oregon Relay Service

Transient Lodgings Tax Help

Roger Koppy