Storm damage recovery

Accessory short-term rental (ASTR) Type A Permits - 1-2 Bedrooms

Learn about applying for accessory short-term rental (ASTR) Type A permits for one or two bedrooms. Get an application for a new or renewal rental unit permit for vacation rentals, mother-in-law apartments, renting out part of your home, renting out a bedroom and basement units.
On this page

Please note: Due to an increase in short-term rental applications, staff is working as quickly as possible to enter applications into the system. Please do not leave multiple voicemail messages or send multiple email messages asking for updates. Applications will be processed in the order of receipt. Please click here to search for your short-term rental permit number.

Application and Forms

One to two units: single-family home or duplex

Three or more dwelling units: triplex, fourplex or more units

Accessory short-term rental Type A permit requirements 

You need a Type A Accessory Short-Term Rental Permit if your vacation rental has one or two bedrooms. You may rent up to two bedrooms to five overnight guests. This also applies to a multi-dwelling development like a condo development. Also:

Type A accessory short-term rentals with three or more dwelling units

The number of dwelling units in a multi-dwelling structure, triplex, fourplex, or cottage cluster that can have an accessory short-term rental is limited to one unit or 25 percent of the total number of units in the structure or on the site, whichever is greater. We can approve complete permit applications until you reach the maximum number allowed.

Apply for or renew a Type A accessory short-term rental permit

Review all the information about accessory short-term rental permits. Then, apply for your permit using the forms above:

  1. Confirm the bedrooms to be rented to overnight guests comply with the requirements of PCC 33.207.040.B.4.
  2. Complete the Neighborhood Notice for your dwelling type. Distribute to all parties listed on the notice.
  3. Fill out the application and checklist for your dwelling type.
  4. Submit your application, copy of neighborhood notification and fee. You can apply by emailing with a copy of your completed permit application, neighborhood notification, and copy of the front and back of the Oregon Driver License for the resident of the dwelling.

    Please indicate in your email message that you would like to pay via credit card. Do not include credit card information in your email submittal. We will contact you for payment information.

    You can also mail in the above listed application materials including a check for the appropriate fee to:

    Bureau of Development Services
    Property Compliance Division
    1900 SW 4th Avenue, Suite 5000
    Portland, OR 97201  

For questions about your Type A permit application, contact the Property Compliance Help Line or send us an email message

Permit review process 

Development Services will review your application. If we approve your application, a permit will be mailed to you. We'll contact you if your application is incomplete or if there are questions about your application. 

If you have questions, please contact the Property Compliance Help Line. 

Get ready for accessory short-term rental inspections

Find out what to expect during rental inspections

Inspection process for short-term rentals with three or more units 

Development Services will not randomly inspect bedrooms in multi-dwelling structures and triplexes. They are already inspected under the Portland Fire & Rescue Safety Inspection program. The inspection examines the safety features of common areas including:

  • condition and operation of exit doors
  • emergency lighting
  • exit signs
  • components of fire resistive construction
  • fire extinguishers 
  • records for fire alarm and fire protection systems

Guest bedrooms must have interconnected smoke detectors and a carbon monoxide alarm. Learn more about requirements for smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.

Other types of accessory short-term rentals

Read about Type B accessory short-term rentals.