COVID-19 Risk Level for Multnomah County: Lower Risk
Regional chlorine shortage: Portland water remains safe to drink

A regional chlorine shortage has disrupted supplies. The Portland Water Bureau is monitoring the situation and evaluating our supplies and procedures. Get updates.

Make a complaint about a City bureau or office

We encourage you to contact our office any time you feel a City bureau, office or employee has treated you unfairly. You will communicate directly with an Ombudsman's office team member who is objective and impartial.

Filing a complaint takes 10-20 minutes to complete.

Make a complaint online

Use the Ombudsman's online complaint form to describe your complaint and attach documents.

What we do

  • Handle complaints from the public, businesses and City employees
  • Conduct impartial investigations of complaints
  • Recommend ways to informally solve substantiated complaints
  • Promote fair and equitable treatment for all

What we do not do

  • Handle complaints between private parties
  • Investigate complaints against elected officials or their staff
  • Provide mediation for disputes