The Portland Water Bureau is monitoring a fire in the Bull Run Watershed

Tap water remains safe to drink. More information or follow the Portland Water Bureau on X (Twitter) and Facebook for updates. Español | Tiếng Việt | 简体中文 | Русский| українська | Soomaali | Română | नेपाली | Chuukese

Other resources to report fraud, waste, inefficiency, and abuse

Black, red, and orange logo of the Portland Fraud Hotline.
The City of Portland, Oregon’s Fraud Hotline cannot accept all types of complaints. The Fraud Hotline is for reports of suspected fraud, waste, inefficiency, and abuse involving the City government, its employees, or vendors .

The following information may help you determine where to go for other types of complaints. You can also call 311 or email 311 for more information about City services.

Non-emergency police reports
Portland Police Bureau | (503) 823-3333

Complaints about City of Portland services and practices
Office of the Ombudsman | (503) 823-0144

Identity theft, rental scams, and other consumer complaints
Federal Trade Commission

Internet fraud
Internet Crime Complaint Center

Not sure if what you saw, or suspect, is worth reporting? File a report.
We would rather you report a situation that turns out to be harmless than let fraud, waste, inefficiency, or abuse go unchecked. But it’s not a bad idea to make sure the report meets our criteria before you report.

The information here can help you decide: