Most City offices closed Wednesday, June 19, to observe Juneteenth

The City of Portland recognizes Juneteenth as a formal day of remembrance to honor Black American history and the end of slavery in the United States. Learn about Juneteenth.

Fraud Hotline

White icon on maroon background. Hand calling on a cell phone.  Fraud Hotline logo: To call it out, call it in.
The City of Portland, Oregon’s Fraud Hotline is the secure, confidential way to report fraud, waste, inefficiency, or abuse involving the City government, its employees, or vendors.

Make sure you understand the types of complaints we can – and cannot – investigate.

We CAN investigate complaints where:

  • Someone who works for the City (such as an employee, vendor, board or commission member, or volunteer) stole something from the City.
    • Examples: An employee stole money, equipment, supplies, data, time, or something else.
  • Someone who works for the City cheated the City some other way.
    • Examples: A vendor submitted a fake invoice, falsified a timesheet, or spent more time or money than they should have on something, even if it was unintentional.   
  • Someone who works for the City used the fact that they work for the City to give a friend or relative more help than they should have with a City matter.
    • Examples: An employee helped their relative get a City job they weren’t qualified for and didn’t disclose they knew the person, or they made sure their friend got a City contract when they weren’t as well qualified as someone else.    

We CANNOT investigate situations where:

  • The problem was not related to City government.
    • Examples: Someone stole your money on eBay or convinced you to get money out of your bank account for services you never received. Even if this happened within City limits, our staff do not have the power to investigate it.  We also cannot investigate issues under the control of other governments, such as Multnomah County or the State of Oregon.
  • You are unhappy with something the City did or did not do, but the problem does not involve fraud, waste, inefficiency, or abuse.
    • Examples: Personnel matters (such as difficulties with a co-worker or supervisor), decisions made by City Council, or reporting problems like a pothole, stolen bike, or abandoned vehicle.

There are other ways to get involved, express your opinion, or report concerns that do not involve fraud, waste, inefficiency, or abuse. Calling the City’s 311 system (dial 311) or sending 311 an email may help you get more information about where to turn.

View our other resources for information about where to report wrongdoing that isn’t within our power to investigate.

If your complaint falls into the “we CAN investigate” category, please file a report. You may file an anonymous report or submit contact information. The more information we have, the better we can investigate your claim.

File a report online  - OR -  Call the Hotline: 866-342-4148

Not sure if what you saw, or suspect, is worth reporting? File a report. We would rather you report a situation that turns out to be harmless than let fraud, waste, inefficiency, or abuse go unchecked.

The information here can help you decide: