Storm damage recovery

When to call 3-1-1, non-emergency (503-823-3333) or other resources

Photo showing someone typing on a keyboard.
If there is an immediate threat to life or property, call 9-1-1. If there is NOT an immediate threat to life or property, call 503-823-3333.

Call 3-1-1  

3-1-1 is the first point of contact for non-emergency situation where Police, Fire, Ambulance, and Portland Street Response are not needed to be dispatched. Call takers can help answer questions, assist with requests, and take reports. Call takers can even assist community members who are having trouble filling out online police reports. Staff are fluent in English, Spanish, Romanian, and Tagalog and have resources to assist community members in additional languages.  

Call 3-1-1, 503-823-4000 or
Hours of operation are every day, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. (excluding federal holidays)

Below are some examples of non-emergency situations to call 3-1-1: 

  • You want to report a campsite.  
  • Your bike was stolen. 
  • Trash is overflowing in a public place, which can also be reported online.  
  • You have a complaint about noise.  
  • You want to report a pothole or debris in the road.
  • You are having a difficult time filling out a police report.   

Call non-emergency dispatch 503-823-3333 

The non-emergency number is for situations that are not an immediate threat to life or property and emergency services will eventually be dispatched. Make an online report.

Below are some examples of non-emergency situations where responders will be dispatched: 

  • Your vehicle was stolen. 
  • An assault occurred and the suspect is no longer at the scene. 
  • You are involved or witnessed a hit and run. 
  • Report a missing person. 
  • A community member is harassing you. 
  • To report a crime that happened, and the suspect is known. 

PDX Reporter 

PDX Reporter is an online-only resource for reporting non-emergency livability issues.In the event of a life threatening emergency, call 911. Examples of when to use PDX Reporter include reporting:

  • Abandoned car
  • Clogged storm drain
  • Debris in the roadway
  • Overgrown vegetation blocking sidewalks
  • Potholes
  • Campsites